Risk Management – Insurance Claims

We Change Lives

Insurance Claims

The various types of claims are handled by this office:

Below you will find descriptions of how the various types of claims are handled.

Louisiana Insurance Requirements (for contractors/vendors furnishing services on University premises) and Indemnification Agreement



There is a $1,000.00 deductible on comprehensive/collision automobile claims.

  • All automobile claims are to be submitted to SEDGWICK.
    1. Automobile (McNeese vehicle at fault)
      1. An accident report and photographs must be obtained from the police department investigating the accident.
      • DA2041 form must be filled out and signed as specified then submitted to the Office of Risk Management/SEDGWICK – FORM DA2041 IS TO BE SUBMITTED WITHIN 48 HOURS OF ACCIDENT.
      • Two estimates of repair must be obtained and submitted to the Office of Risk Management, along with a copy of current registration, proof of insurance, and driver’s license (not MSU vehicle). The State will not allow repair if they are not in compliance with state law.
    2. Automobile (McNeese is not at fault)
      1. All of the above mentioned forms must be obtained and submitted as stated in #1.
      2. Two estimates of repair are obtained and submitted to the Office of Risk Management. ORM will in turn try to collect repair costs from the insurance company of the individual at fault. NOTE: A vehicle registration is needed for any automobile on or off campus.


  • A letter is received from the Director of the Physical Plant describing the claim at hand.
    NOTE: Claims serious in nature (excessive repair costs) should be reported to the Office of Risk Management by phone.
    1. Complete the Louisiana State Property 1st Party Losses form. Forward the claim letter/email and a completed Louisiana State Property 1st Party Losses form to 6410StateofLouisiana@Sedgwickcms.com to open a claim.There is a $1,000.00 deductible on all boiler/machinery claims. Examples of boiler/machinery types of claims are as follows: a transformer blows, a compressor fails, or an air conditioning motor fails, etc. Coverage applies when boiler/machinery type claims occur due to an accident and not resulting from wear and tear.

Property Claims

  • An incident report must be obtained for all property damage/loss claims. This report is obtained from the McNeese Police department and describes the damage involved. Examples of property damage claims are as follows: a leaky roof causes damage to a computer, lightning strikes a piece of equipment, collapsed building structure causes damage to property items, etc. Pictures should be taken.
    1. An offense report must be obtained from the McNeese Police department for all property theft claims, including cash. If cash is stolen, this theft must be reported to ORM, the Legislative Auditor’s Office, ORM, and the District Attorney’s office. All stolen property must be reported to the State Property control office, ORM, the Legislative Auditor’s office, and the District Attorney’s office. (The university president reports this loss to all departments but the LPAA. The Property office reports the loss to LPAA.)
      • Louisiana Legislative Auditor
        P O Box 94397
        Baton Rouge LA 70804
      • Office of Risk Management
        P O Box 91106
        Baton Rouge LA 70821
      • District Attorney’s Office
        P O Box 3206
        Lake Charles LA 70602
      • Louisiana Property Assistance Agency
        P O Box 94095
        Baton Rouge LA 70804
    2. Non-forced entries are reported to State Property on a form entitled “Non-Forced Entry Theft Report”. When the theft is reported as forced entry, a Transfer of Property from active to stolen is prepared and submitted to State Property Control.
    3. The damage/theft of property is reported to the Office of Risk Management. An inventory report on which the damaged or stolen property is listed must be submitted to ORM. The property damage/theft claim is reviewed by ORM at the time of loss. Property is insured up to the actual cash value at the time of loss. Property purchased with bond money is insured up to the replacement cost at the time of loss. After the insured amount is determined, a Proof of Loss is issued showing the maximum amount of insurance compensation to be received. The Proof of Loss is notarized and sent back to ORM. Pictures are needed for property damage to vehicles such as bumper, fender, etc. Pictures are needed for windshield damage along with a completed DA2073 form when submitting to ORM and/or window breakage.
    4. The department from which the property loss occurred is notified of the insurance compensation available as specified on the Proof of Loss. The department then issues a purchase requisition for the purchase of replacement equipment. The insurance claim number is specified on the body of the requisition. The amount is reimbursed to the proper account(s).
    5. Once the stolen/damaged property is replaced and paid for, information pertaining to this replacement purchase is submitted to the Office of Risk Management. Such information includes a copy of the purchase order, invoice, check and a letter specifying the amount that should be reimbursed as stated on the Proof of Loss. The Office of Risk Management then issues a check to McNeese for the amount specified. This check is then deposited into the correct insurance reimbursement account. If such a payment closes out a claim, the folder/notebook entry is marked “Closed File”.There is a $1,000.00 deductible per occurrence for property damage/theft claims. Property claims are covered for loss due to fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, explosion, riot, civil commotion, aircraft, vehicles, smoke, theft, etc. All property claims are to be submitted to: SEDGWICK

General Liability

  • General liability claims occur when it is felt that bodily injury or property damage is the result from operations for which McNeese could be held legally liable. A completed DA 3000 form should be submitted to the Property office for all incidents involving a third party.
    1. Claims which are made against McNeese by a third party for bodily injury or property damage are reported to the Office of Risk Management. An incident report is prepared by the McNeese Police department describing the injury/damage. This report is also submitted to ORM.
    2. Any objects and/or products which may have caused, contributed to, or which are suspected of causing an accident are to be retained and preserved as evidence.
    3. McNeese is not to assume any obligation or incur any expenses without authority from Office of Risk Management.For all general liability claims, send a copy to the Safety Officer at McNeese State University.

General Liability (Windshield Damage)

  • Glass repair/replacement claims on McNeese vehicles and third party claims are to be reported to Office of Risk Management/SEDGWICK on a Vehicle Glass Repair/Replacement Loss Notice DA2073 form. The state has a contract with a local vendor for glass repair/replacement. Vendor information can be obtained from the Purchasing department. There is a $1,000.00 deductible per occurrence.
    1. Loss Notices (DA2073) for McNeese vehicles must be accompanied by the original invoice from the glass repair/replacement vendor. Direct payment is made to the vendor making the repairs/replacement.
    2. For third party claims, the loss notice form (DA2073), proof of insurance, current vehicle registration, driver’s license, photos and incident report are submitted to Office of Risk management. These can be mailed or faxed to ORM / SEDGWICKGlass repair/replacement notices are to be submitted to: ORM / SEDGWICK