Helpful Hints for Academic Success
We Change Lives
We, at McNeese State University, want to see you be successful with your educational goals. For this reason, we offer to you the following suggestions that may help:
- Use your advisor. The advisor is an excellent source of information for your academic questions. The advisor will also serve as a referral source if there are detractors in your life outside of academics that impact your ability to succeed.
- Attend class regularly, and when problems arise that prevent your attendance, consult with your teacher about the possibility of making up missed work. Class attendance can make the difference of a letter grade in a course.
- Evaluate your life and responsibilities that it holds. Are there detractors to your educational experience that adversely affect your ability to be successful in college?
- Is the number of hours you work interfering with your ability to be successful?
- Are you possibly taking more hours than you should in an attempt to attain your degree in the shortest amount of time?
- Are your financial obligations putting pressure on you to work more hours, and therefore, affecting your time management?
- Is your interest level in your chosen curriculum enough to encourage commitment to earning the degree?
- Have you considered whether or not you would benefit from academic, career, or psychological counseling and/or testing?
- Is there a need for assistance from the writing or tutoring centers?
- Please feel free to contact these offices for assistance:
|Career Testing and Job Placement Information||Career and Student Development (CSD) Center – Holbrook (Old Ranch)||475-5612||Email CSD
Visit CSD website
|Personal Development and Mental Health Counseling||Counseling Center
Kaufman Hall 167
|475-5136||Email Counseling Center
Visit Counseling Center website
|Financial Aid Information||Student Central||475-5065||Email Financial Aid
Visit Financial Aid website
|TOPS or Scholarship Information||Student Central||475-5065||Email Office of Scholarships
Visit Office of Scholarships website
|Support Services for Disabled Students||Office of Disability Services
Drew Hall 200
|475-5916||Email Office of Disability Services
Visit Office of Disability Services website
|Math and Science Tutoring||Tutoring Center
Kirkman Hall 129
|Visit Academic Computing Center|
|Writing Assistance||Write to Excellence Center
Drew Hall 234
|562-4206||Email Write to Excellence Center
Visit Write to Excellence Center website