Date enacted or revised:
Enacted August 7, 2018
The purpose of this policy is to provide information and procedures regarding the Student Evaluation of Instruction (SEI) process.
This policy ensures a coordinated university-wide approach for administering student evaluation of instruction surveys and provides evidence of compliance with the Rules of the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors (Chapter III, Section X, Faculty and Staff: Faculty Rank), which states, “As part of its evaluative procedures, each institution will utilize a system of periodic faculty evaluations by students, with the improvement of teaching effectiveness as a major focus of such evaluations.”
SEI results are a part of a department’s Annual Performance Review (APR) process.
- Instructors use feedback from SEIs to improve their teaching and the overall experience of a course.
- Deans and Department Heads use feedback from SEIs to help instructors improve their teaching and to make personnel decisions regarding instructors.
- In many cases, SEIs provide the only opportunity for students to provide feedback to instructors on how the course might be improved.
- The evaluation process is anonymous.
- Instructors may not retaliate or provide negative repercussions against students, based on feedback from SEIs.
- All courses will be evaluated online using the Class Climate System.
- Courses with 3 or more students will be evaluated.
- Courses with 1 or 2 students will be N/E (not evaluated), unless they are cross-listed or a private lesson in Performing Arts.
- Cross-listed courses with the same instructor will be combined into the course with the highest enrollment.
- The following courses have been approved for exclusion from evaluation:
- Courses with the ORIN (Orientation) prefix.
- Courses with the CRSS (Cross-Enrollment) prefix.
- EDUC 200, 499, 599 (Education Program Entrance Courses).
- Varsity Sports and Performing Dance Classes in Health and Human Performance
- Certain courses in Undergraduate Nursing and Radiologic and Medical Laboratory Sciences
- The following courses use alternative survey instruments and procedures:
- Courses under the Graduate Nursing program (Nursing Consortium SEI).
- Courses under the Health Systems Management program (HSM Consortium SEI).
- EDUC 483, 485, 683, HHP 468, ARED 445, MUED 442 (Student Teaching SEI).
- Near the end of the semester, Department Heads will have the opportunity to N/E (delete) any courses that are not to be included in the final results of an instructor. The Department Head will receive a list of courses, and will have 2 working days to indicate which courses are to be N/E. The Department Head will then forward the list to the respective Dean, who will have 2 working days to approve the list. The list will then be forwarded to the Director of Institutional Research & Effectiveness for his or her approval.
- Other evaluation tools established by the department or program may be used for assessing individual instruction courses (independent study, thesis, research, certain labs)
- Individual Course Reports with comments will be distributed to instructors after grades have been posted for the semester.
- Combined reports will be distributed to instructors before the last week of the semester.
- SEI departmental questions (if applicable) can be changed at the beginning of the APR evaluation period. Department Heads will be provided with a copy of current questions, and will be instructed as to how to get questions changed, should they need to.
This policy is distributed via Senior Staff and Academic Advisory Council.