Remote Access Policy
Authority: Information Technology
Date Enacted or Revised: Enacted April 6, 2021; Revised August 9, 2021
The purpose of this policy is to define rules and requirements for connecting to McNeese State University’s network from any host. These rules and requirements are designed to minimize the potential exposure to McNeese State University from damages which may result from unauthorized use of McNeese State University resources. Damages include the loss of sensitive or institutional confidential data, intellectual property, damage to public image, damage to critical McNeese State University internal systems, and fines or other financial liabilities incurred as a result of those losses.
This policy applies to all McNeese State University employees, contractors, vendors, and agents with a McNeese State University-owned or personally owned computer or workstation used to connect to the McNeese State University network. This policy applies to remote access connections used to do work on behalf of McNeese State University, including reading or sending email and viewing intranet web resources. This policy covers all technical implementations of remote access used to connect to McNeese State University networks.
It is the responsibility of McNeese State University employees, contractors, vendors, and agents with remote access privileges to McNeese State University’s network to ensure that their remote access connection is given the same consideration as the user’s on-site connection to McNeese State University.
General access to the internet for recreational use through the McNeese State University network is strictly limited to McNeese State University employees, contractors, vendors, and agents (hereafter referred to as “authorized users”). When accessing the McNeese State University network from a personal computer, authorized users are responsible for preventing access to any McNeese State University computer resources or data by non-authorized users. Performance of illegal activities through the McNeese State University network by any user (authorized or otherwise) is prohibited. The authorized user bears responsibility for and consequences of misuse of the authorized user’s access. For further information, see the Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources Policy.
Authorized users will not use McNeese State University networks to access the internet for outside business interests.
- Secure remote access must be strictly controlled with encryption (i.e., virtual private networks, or VPNs) and strong passphrases.
- Authorized users shall protect their login and password, even from family members.
- While using a McNeese State University-owned computer to remotely connect to McNeese State University’s institutional network, authorized users shall ensure the remote host is not connected to any other network at the same time, with the exception of personal networks that are under their complete control or under the complete control of an authorized user or third party.
- Use of external resources to conduct McNeese State University business must be approved in advance by the Office of Information Technology.
- All hosts, including personal computers, that are connected to McNeese State University internal networks via remote access technologies must use the most up-to-date anti-virus software.
The Office of Information Technology will verify compliance to this policy through various methods, including but not limited to, periodic walk-throughs, video monitoring, business tool reports, internal and external audits, and inspection.
Any exception to the policy must be approved by the Office of Information Technology in advance.
An employee found to have violated this policy may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
This policy is distributed via Senior Staff and the University Policies webpage.