Policy on Policies
Date Enacted or Revised: Revised March 9, 2015; June 18, 2015; February 15, 2016; July 5, 2022
The University Policies webpage and the Academic Catalog serve as the principal policy documents for McNeese State University. A University policy has a wide scope and the potential for campus-wide impact. The Academic Catalog contains policies specific to academic issues at the institutional level. These policies include but are not limited to admissions policies, coursework requirements, graduation requirements, Title IV regulations, and other related academic matters.
The University reserves the right to change University policies and the Academic Catalog without notice as required to comply with federal, SACSCOC, Louisiana Board of Regents, and University of Louisiana System regulations and to meet other institutional needs.
The following procedures are required for approval of all University policies:
- University policy proposals or revisions are brought to Senior Staff by the president, or Senior Staff members may propose policies and revisions for their respective areas of responsibility. Upon review, the Senior Staff makes a recommendation for approval to the president, and the president is responsible for the final approval.
- University policies should include the following information:
- Title of policy
- Authority – All university policies are assigned to at least one member of the institution’s executive leadership for maintenance and review.
- Dates of enactment and revisions
- Purpose – This should include a concise statement of the purpose of the policy and assurance of its alignment with federal, SACSCOC, Louisiana Board of Regents, and University of Louisiana System regulations and institutional or unit purposes.
- Procedures – This section should include a description of procedures and an associated timeline for completion, a method for monitoring and reporting compliance with the policy, and a schedule for reviewing policy and procedures.
- Communication – Methods of communicating policies should be listed here, if applicable.
- Minutes from the Senior Staff meetings shall document approval of University policies. Senior Staff minutes are archived in the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness.
- Policy revisions should be noted as such and include the date of revision. Minor policy revisions do not require additional approval unless the intent of the policy significantly changes. The revised policy should be submitted to the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness for posting on the University Policies website.
- The president or Senior Staff member authoring new or revised policies is responsible for coordinating dissemination of University policies with the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness as appropriate to the policy.
- The Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness will post new policies and policy revisions on the University Policies webpage at www.mcneese.edu/policy.
The following procedures are required for approval of all additions and revisions to the Academic Catalog:
- Academic policies contained in the Academic Catalog are proposed by an academic or administrative unit, reviewed by academic deans and, if appropriate, the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee and/or Graduate Council, and approved by the provost for inclusion in the Academic Catalog.
- The Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness will post additions and revisions to the Academic Catalog at catalog.mcneese.edu.
All full-time and part-time McNeese employees are responsible for reading, understanding, and adhering to all University policies. University policies are officially published on the University Policies webpage at www.mcneese.edu/policy. The Academic Catalog is located at catalog.mcneese.edu. Both of these pages contain search features to assist in finding information.
“Developing Policy and Procedure Documents: Best Practices” distributed by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools – Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)