Mission and Foundational Statements
Date Enacted or Revised: Enacted August 2018; Revised June 15, 2020; April 19, 2022
McNeese State University is a student-centric university whose mission is to change the lives of students through quality education and to provide services to the employers and communities in its region. McNeese uses a traditional admissions process based on courses completed, grade point average (GPA), and standardized test scores.
McNeese is responsible for serving:
- Residents of southwest Louisiana who have completed high school and are seeking either a college degree or continuing professional education;
- Two-year college transfer students, particularly those from SOWELA Technical Community College;
- Employers in the region, both public and private, school districts, healthcare providers, local governments, and private businesses;
- Economic development interests and regional entrepreneurs; and
- The area community, by providing a broad range of academic and cultural activities and public events.
Array of Programs and Services
- An array of liberal arts programs at the baccalaureate level—arts and humanities, social sciences, natural sciences—appropriate to a teaching institution with a predominately undergraduate student body.
- Baccalaureate programs in education, engineering, business, nursing, selected allied health fields, mass communication, and criminal justice.
- Master’s programs primarily related to education, engineering, arts, sciences, nursing, and business.
- Doctoral programs in professional fields.
- Support for area K-12 schools seeking college general education courses for advanced students and assistance in ensuring that their graduates are college- and career-ready.
- Services specifically designed to meet the needs of regional economic development, such as small business development, support for entrepreneurs, and problem solving.
- Programs in entrepreneurship and small business development supported by the Southwest Entrepreneurial and Economic Development (SEED) Center.
- Agricultural and related sciences with opportunities for experiential learning at three working farms and the Center for Advancement of Meat Processing and Production (CAMPP).
- Custom academic programs and professional certifications integrated with area business and industry.
- Applied undergraduate research partnerships in engineering, sciences, and allied health.
- Cultural events designed to connect McNeese with the regional arts community and K-12 education.
Our Vision: FIRST CHOICE!
McNeese will be the first choice for Southwest Louisiana:
- The first choice for students seeking a university degree.
- The first choice for employers seeking university graduates.
- The first choice for donors wanting to support the community.
- The first choice for organizations seeking professional advice.
- The first choice for faculty and staff seeking a collegial and productive work environment.
Our Statement of Purpose
We change lives through excellence with a personal touch!
- We change the lives of students through a mix of research, instruction, and student life activities, with a focus on student learning and mentorship. We provide a personal touch!
- We change lives in SWLA by improving the level of education and the overall economic development in our region. We provide excellence!
- We improve the quality of life in SWLA through a range of academic and cultural activities and public events. We change lives!
Our Pillars of Service
We support our state and our region through Three Pillars of Service:
- Stewardship: We will be good stewards of state resources and provide cost-effective education to our community.
- Engagement: We will engage with our community by providing employable graduates as well as by serving as a center for learning and artistic creativity.
- Excellence: We will strive for excellence in all we do.
Our Core Values
- Trust we will act with honesty and integrity.
- Trust we will respect one another and the cultural differences among us.
- Trust we will have the courage to do the right thing.
- Trust we will do what is best for our students, our university, and our state.
- Mentor our peers and inspire them to maintain excellence.
- Mentor our students and inspire them to achieve excellence.