Withdrawal from Courses and Resignation from the University Policy

Authority: Academic Affairs and Enrollment Management
Date Enacted or Revised: Enacted August 7, 2013; Revised April 2016; June 2018; August 2018; July 2019


The University recognizes that students may have a need to withdraw from courses or resign from the University due to personal, medical, family, financial, or other reasons. This policy details the regulations and procedures for withdrawing from courses or resigning from the University. A student who withdraws from all courses is also resigning from the University.


  1. Course withdrawal is defined as the withdrawal from one or more courses with one or more courses remaining for the semester or summer session. A resignation is defined as withdrawal from all courses for the semester or summer session.
  2. The deadline for withdrawing from a course or resigning from the University is specified in the University’s academic calendar. After this date, a student may not withdraw from a course or resign from the University.
  3. After the last day of late registration and through the published deadline, a student can withdraw from one or more courses through Banner Self-Service. Once the request is submitted, the student is withdrawn from the course through an administrative process, resulting in the assignment of a withdrawal grade. However, if the request is submitted by a student-athlete or an international student on an F-1 or J-1 visa, the request is first routed electronically to the appropriate office for approval.
    1. For course withdrawals, a grade of WZ is assigned.
    2. For resignations, a grade of W is assigned; however, if the student previously withdrew from any courses, the assigned grade of WZ is not replaced with a grade of W.
  4. Students with active registration holds are not able to withdraw from a course or resign from the University until the hold has been removed by the appropriate office.
  5. High school early admission/dual enrollment students are not eligible to withdraw through the electronic Banner Self-Service process and should contact their high school counselor or the coordinator of dual enrollment for more information.
  6. Recipients of federal financial aid who officially withdraw from a course or resign from the University, or who unofficially withdraw/resign by discontinuing class attendance, may be subject to repayment of all or a portion of funds received.
  7. The University assesses a per course withdrawal fee of $50 to all students, which is automatically charged to the student’s account when the WZ grade is assigned. The amount of the per course withdrawal fee is subject to change without prior notice. The following withdrawals are not assessed the course withdrawal fee:
    1. Withdrawals resulting from resignation from the University (W grades)
    2. Withdrawals resulting from military activation (W grades)
    3. Withdrawals resulting from administrative action (W grades)
    4. Withdrawals from linked lab sections where no credit or grade is assigned (i.e., BIOL 225 LA – 0 credits)
  8. Grades of F, I, or WN may be recorded for students who leave the University without officially resigning by the designated deadline. A course withdrawal fee of $50 is assessed for every WN grade assigned. This per course fee is automatically charged to the student’s account when the WN grade is assigned.
  9. Retroactive withdrawal after a semester ends may be permitted only by approval of an undergraduate student appeal. Information and appeal forms for undergraduates may be obtained from Student Central. A non-refundable fee must be paid prior to filing the appeal.


This policy is distributed via the Academic Advisory Council, the Administrative Advisory Council, the University Policies webpage, and the Academic Catalog.

See also:  Withdrawal from Courses for Non-Attendance Policy