Date enacted or revised:
Enacted May 14, 2019; Revised January 13, 2020
McNeese State University fully supports and recognizes the importance of acknowledging classified employees for significant work related accomplishments, outstanding performance and service to the University. The purpose of this policy, under the provisions of Civil Service Rule 6.16.1 for Rewards and Recognition, is to acknowledge and reward classified employees with monetary and/or nonmonetary awards, related to their accomplishments. If rewards are monetary, such rewards shall not exceed a total of 10% of any classified employee’s base salary within the fiscal year.
Rewards shall be dependent on availability of funding.
No classified employee shall receive a monetary award under this policy during any Performance Evaluation System (PES) rating period in which the employee has an overall rating less than “Successful”. An employee who is “Unrated” or “Not Evaluated” may be eligible for a reward.
Only permanent, full- time, classified employees are eligible for monetary awards under this policy.
McNeese State University will comply with submission of an annual report of awards to State Civil Service, each July 31st, which details payments made to employees.
The names of recipients and the amounts granted will be publicly posted in accordance with SCS requirements.
Depending upon available funding, McNeese State University shall present the following awards:
- Awards for Service Commitment to the University
This award will be given annually according to the chart below to employees for their total number of years of service, as of September 15th of each year.
- New Hires and Less than 5 years of service-MSU Lapel Pin valued at approximately $3.85
- 5-9 years of service-MSU Lapel Pin valued at approximately $3.85
- 10-19 years of service-MSU Lapel Pin valued at approximately $2.50
- 20-29 years of service-MSU Lapel Pin valued at approximately $1.95
- 30 or more years of service-MSU Lapel Pin valued at approximately $4.50
The service pins will be awarded by the President annually based on service information obtained through Human Resources. Human Resources will compile a list of service award recipients each year. No application or nomination process is required for employees to receive a pin.
- President’s Award for Excellence
Classified employees, serving in permanent status with at least one year of full-time service at the University, whose work has made a major contribution to accomplishing the department’s mission may be nominated for the President’s Award for Excellence. Recipients of the award will receive a plaque (valued at $125) and a one-time, lump sum adjustment, of not greater than 10%, as allowed under Civil Service Rule 6.16.1 but in no case will the lump sum adjustment exceed $1,000 for this award. Up to three awards at $1,000 each may be awarded each year. An employee may not receive the President’s Award for Excellence in two consecutive years.
Criteria for Nominations:
- Nominee’s may be self-nominated or nominated by a current or former full-time McNeese employee.
- The nominee must demonstrate commitment to the University’s vision, mission, statement of purpose, and value and demonstrate excellence in work-related accomplishments to the University and the community.
Nomination criteria may include but is not be limited to the following:
- Evidence of high degree of professionalism and customer service
- Evidence of high levels of initiative and pride in work
- Evidence of high levels of sustained commitment to campus service, such as University committee leadership or service, participation in student recruiting and retention efforts, student organization sponsorship, mentorship, and participation in and the organization of campus seminars and workshops
- Evidence of high levels of sustained commitment to off-campus community and charitable service, including relevant service to professional organizations
- Offices held in professional associations or civic/community organizations
- The nomination packet is limited to no more than 15 pages and include the following in this order:
- University nomination form (1 page) CLICK HERE FOR FORM
- Current resume of the nominee
- A statement by the nominee which explains how they demonstrate excellence and support the University’s vision, mission, statement of purpose, and values (no more than 3 pages)
- Three letters of recommendation (if not self-nominated, nominee should include a letter from the nominator)
- Optional: Other items that support the nomination as deemed relevant by the nominee (no more than 5 pages)
- The nomination packet must be saved as a single PDF document and emailed to email@example.com by the deadline specified in the schedule.
This policy will be posted hard copy in the Human Resources Office, on the MSU General Policy Page, on the Human Resources Tab of the MyMcNeese Portal and through departmental distribution. Awards received will be posted in the same manner.
McNeese will submit an annual report by July 31 of each fiscal year to the Department of State Civil Service detailing all payments made to employees under this policy.
This policy will be posted hard copy in the Human Resources Office, on the MSU General Policy Page, on the Human Resources Tab of the MyMcNeese Portal and through departmental distribution. Awards received will also be posted in the same manner.