Date enacted or revised:
June 2012; Revised January 2016; Revised August 2016
This policy is intended to provide information regarding complimentary admission, registration, lodging and/or transportation reporting requirements.
The Louisiana Code of Governmental Ethics requires clearance and approval in specified cases before public servants are allowed to receive complimentary admission, lodging, or transportation. In cases involving an educational or professional development seminar or conference, the law requires approval by the President and the traveler is required to file an affidavit with the Board of Ethics within 60 days after acceptance. A summary of the Code may be found at http://ethics.la.gov/Pub/Laws/ethsum.pdf
To determine whether complimentary travel expenses are permissible and/or subject to clearance and approval, and to conform to state ethics law requirements, recipients should perform the following procedures:
- Complete the University Travel Request Form.
- Complete and sign the Complimentary Admission, Registration, Lodging and/or Transportation and attach to the Travel Request From.
- Submit the Travel Request Form along with the attached Complimentary Admission, Registration, Lodging and/or Transportation Request Form to immediate Supervisor for approval.
- Supervisor will forward the Complimentary Admission, Registration, Lodging and/or Transportation Request Form to the appropriate vice president, who will seek a review from the McNeese Ethics Liaison prior to the submission to the President for final approval.
- The President will provide a copy of the fully approved form to the traveler.
- If the McNeese Ethics Liaison has determined that the request falls within the purview of Louisiana Revised Statute 42:1123(41), the traveler must complete the Louisiana Board of Ethics Complimentary Admission, Lodging and/or Transportation Disclosure Form, sign, and have signature appropriately notarized. The completed Disclosure Form should then be sent to the Office of the President within two weeks after travel is completed. The President will submit the completed Disclosure Form to the Board of Ethics promptly as required by law.
This policy is distributed via the Academic Advisory Council, the Administrative Advisory Council, the University Listserv, the university web-site, and through routine communication between departments.