Skip to content

Campus Security Authority

Your Safety Matters

The Clery Act requires the university to create and make available an annual safety and security report that includes certain crime statistics, arrests, and campus disciplinary actions.

This report is compiled based on input from law enforcement and faculty and staff who are designated as Campus Security Authorities (CSA). CSAs are university officials who have significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including but not limited to, student housing, discipline, and advising. This designation also includes any individual who has been specified by the university to receive and report offenses. CSAs are responsible for reporting the number of crimes and incidents as described in the Clery Act that occur in their department to the McNeese Police Department. These numbers are then included in the federally mandated Clery Report, which is posted on-line every year in the beginning of October.

Professional mental health and religious counselors are exempt from mandatory reporting requirements. CSAs are a vital part of data collection for the annual safety and security report and contribute to the McNeese Police Department’s philosophy of “See It, Hear It, Report It.”

Annual Training for CSAs

CSAs are required by law to receive annual training and resources from the university. Each year, before Sept. 1, CSAs must review a training PowerPoint and document their attendance by attending a classroom presentation or by viewing the presentation below.

McNeese State University 2016-17 Annual Clery & CSA Training [text-only]


What are my responsibilities as a CSA?

As a CSA, you are responsible for reporting criminal incidents that occur on campus or on McNeese State University affiliated property to the McNeese Police Department.

What crimes do I need to report?

Criminal activity that must be reported includes: aggravated assault, alcohol violation (incuding minor in possession), arson, burglary, drug violations, hate crimes, homicide, motor vehicle theft, robbery, sexual assault, weapon violations (e.g. possession, brandishing). In addition, the crime must occur on campus (including student housing), at a McNeese State University affiliated property (e.g. McNeese Farm, CAMPP, etc) or on the public property streets adjacent to the main campus.

Visit the Clery Definitions page for more information on crime criteria and locations.

Why is reporting necessary?

Keeping accurate crime statistics helps the University know where to provide prevention programs and safety awareness programs to help keep the campus safe. The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel as CSAs is to acknowledge that many individuals, and students in particular, are hesitant about reporting crimes to the police, but may be more inclined to report incidents to other campus affiliated individuals.

How do I report incidents to the police department?  

CSAs can either report incidents individually as they are recieved or all at once. McNeese Police provides a form to make a report of an incident, but CSAs are not required to use it to make a report. CSA are highly encouraged to immediately call McNeese Police to report any crime or suspicious activity.
Police emergency extension from a university phone – 111
Police business extension from a university phone – 5711
Police emergency from a university phone – 9911
(Connects you to the parish 9-1-1 center – ask for McNeese Police) University police business line – 337-475-5711

Reports can also be made by activating any of the Emergency Blue Tower Phones on campus to summon the McNeese Police. The McNeese Police Department is open 24 hours-a-day at 4314 Ryan Street, Lake Charles, LA 70609.

What happens after the police department receive an incident report from a CSA?

Incidents are reviewed for duplication and to verify that each incident is Clery reportable. The incidents are then classified into their proper crime and geographical categories and added to the annual Clery statistics.

What if I am unsure if an incident is a crime or if it should be reported under Clery?

Please report it with as much detail as possible about the incident. The crime analyst will determine if it is a Clery reportable crime.

Do University Police investigate these crimes?

Making a report as quickly as possible to the McNeese Police is critical, as McNeese Police will always try to investigate all reports of crime that are received. However, the focus of all reporting is to ensure that crime victims receive aid, protection, police and support services.

In addition, data collection allows us to form a more accurate number of crimes on campus. This is a resource for the campus community to use to make informed decisions about their safety.

Are there exemptions to CSA reporting incidents?

Yes, certain individuals are exempt from disclosing information:

  • Religious counselor.  A person who is associated with a religious order or denomination, is recognized by that religious order as someone who provides confidential counseling, and is functioning within the scope of that recognition as a counselor, is exempt.
  • Professional counselor.  A person whose official responsibility includes providing mental health counseling to members of the institution’s community and who is functioning within the scope of his or her license or certification.  This definition applies even to professional counselors who are not employees of the institution but are under contract to provide counseling at the institution. However, we strongly encourage everyone to report.

What happens if I do not report criminal incidents to the University Police Department?

The United States Department of Education is charged with enforcing the Clery Act and may level civil penalties against institutions of higher education if incidences are not reported.