Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Are disabled parking and fire zone violations enforced at all times?
Yes. These violations are enforced 24 hours a day. This is to ensure the support and safety of all guests. 
Civilian university parking enforcement staff may issue a university parking citation for these violations.

How can i obtain a Louisiana State disabled parking hang tag or plate?
The university does not issue a separate disabled or handicap parking permit for university property. 

If you are a disabled resident of Louisiana, your disability must be certified by a physician to qualify for either the mobility impaired license plates or the mobility impaired hang-tag. There are several disability conditions which qualify you as mobility impaired in accordance with the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicle (OMV) rules. The disability must be classified by your physician as permanently impaired or as temporarily impaired. Temporary hang-tags are valid for one year and permanent hang-tags are valid for four years. Disability license plates are valid for two years. There are fees assessed for each type of permit by OMV.

Students and staff/faculty who may have a disability are still required to purchase and display a university parking hangtag. That permit when used in conjunction with either a State of Louisiana mobility impaired hang-tage, a State of Louisiana disabled license plate, or a disabled veteran license plate allows the users vehicle to be parked in any legal parking stall on the university, (except police or service vehicle posted parking spaces or executive staff posted parking spaces which are reserved from 7:30 am to 4 pm).

I can't find a place to park, why aren't there more parking spaces on campus?
The university maintains nearly 6,000 parking spaces on campus. Please refer to the campus parking maps to to see the specific lot designations and permit requirements. While parking on the core of the main campus can become congested during peak use periods (8 am to noon), there is always excess parking capacity in the Sale Street lot and in Lot A located at McNeese and Common Streets where there are 1,076 designated parking spaces available during class days. During football games Lot A is restricted to football permit holders.

While some of the most convenient parking spaces may at times be in short supply, there is always ample parking within a 5 to 8 minute walk of most classrooms and facilities.

Why do I have to pay to park on campus and $40 a year seems unfair to me.
The state legislature views the parking enterprise on all university and college campuses in the state as a self supporting enterprise that should cover the cost of administration, permitting, maintenance, expansion, and related costs. Consequently, there are no general state funds provided to the university to run our parking operation. Instead, a parking permit fee is charged. The $40 annual fee has not been raised in many years and currently does not cover the total costs for reasphalting existing parkings, expanding lighting, installing CCTV cameras and is used to maintenance, space striping, the parking management software system, traffic cones and other related operational costs.

Students pay a separate $75 per semester fee which is a self imposed fee that students voted and approved in order to build the $14 million student garage. Only students can park in the student garage.


I locked my keys in my office - what do I do?
During regular business hours you should contact your department head. After hours or during university closures, call 337-475-5711 to speak with a McNeese Police dispatcher and a police officer will be sent to your location as soon as one is available. Be sure to tell the dispatcher where you will meet the officer and be prepared to show the officer your driver's license and university ID card. The McNeese officers do not open offices for student workers or graduate assistants without prior, written permission from the faculty or staff member to whom the office is assigned.  

How much does my group have to pay to have police at our event?
University operations are staffed at a regular level. Consequently, when a community group, student organziation, club or other entity requests to use university facilities the additional cost for such an event must be paid by the facility user. The university cannot 'gift' the use of a tax supported facility without charging the cost that an event may actually cost the university. Police services, custodial, facility rental and any damages must be charged to the user or renting group. The university police has sole jurisdiction of managing the public safety needs associated with an event on campus. The police department reviews each Facility Use Request to determine if security/policing staff are needed. This review involves the estimated size of the event, traffic control needs, if alcohol is served, parking needs, the potential for violence and the policing services that a repeating event may require. The police department also considers the level of need for police officers to be on scene who are trained as Emergency Medical Responders (EMR).

If, a student organization, group, or university department or program hosts an off campus event, the university police provide security services off campus only for 'core university events' such as athletic events, commencement, etc. If a non-core university event is scheduled off campus, then the McNeese Police will provide the group with contact information to contract with officers from the sheriff's office, Lake Charles Police or Ward 3 Marshal's Office. The billing for off duty officers for these other agencies can range from $25 to $55 per hour, per officer usually with a 4 hour minimum charge.


Can I make a police report over the phone?
Usually an official police report cannot be taken over the telephone. But making the phone call is just the first step in initiating a police crime report. If you are the victim or witness to a crime, call the McNeese Police Department at 337-475-5711 and the first available officer will be sent to meet with you at the scene of the crime or at the polcie department. Be sure to tell the dispatcher where you will meet the officer and be prepared to show the officer your identification.

When I call the police, what information should I have ready?
Make sure that you are safe before calling. The information needed will vary based on what is being reported. Not all questions could be applicable to every call.
The McNeese Police Communications Center call taker may want to know:
  • What is occurring or has occurred.
  • Location of occurrence.
  • Your name and phone number (anonymous calls are accepted).
  • Your location, if different from the location of occurrence.
  • The time of occurrence.
  • If there are any injuries.
  • If anyone intoxicated or under the influence of drugs.
  • If any weapons are involved.
  • Number of people involved.
  • Descriptions of any vehicles involved (license plate, color, year, make, model).
  • Descriptions of people involved (gender, race, hair color, eye color, height, weight, scars/tattoos and clothing).
  • Direction of travel of anyone leaving the scene on foot or in a vehicle.
  • If there are any witnesses, and if so, are they still on scene.

How do I report a non-emergency?
In a non-emergency situation, where there is no immediate threat to personal safety or property, contact McNeese police by using any campus phone and dial x5711.
Non-emergencies can also be reported by calling 337-475-5711 24 hours-a-day.

Does the McNeese Police Department allow anonymous reporting?
Yes, you may make an anonymous report to the university police, but without sufficient detail and informaiton that report might be insufficient for the police to take significant action. A crime victim is never required to make an official police report, but sharing crime information or suspicious activity may prevent a crime or incident from repeating itself. You can use the Silent Witness Form to make an anonymous report.

As a victim or witness of a crime you can also report crimes to Campus Security Authorities (CSA's) on an anonymous basis (these reports become part of the Annual Security Report crime totals reported by the McNeese Police to the US Department of Education). CSA's are required to report Clery Act qualifying crimes in a timely manner to the university police. The university police encourages all individuals who report a crime to provide identifying information.


How do I request a presentation by a police officer?
You can request that a police officer give a presentation to your group by contacting Deputy Chief Mike Powell at: or by calling McNeese police at 337-475-5711.

Is it safe to walk on campus at night?
Yes, provided you take some simple steps to enhance your safety. You should be situationally alert to your surroundings and avoid texting, surfing or calling whn you are walking. Travel in well lit, well-traveled areas and try not to walk alone. Familiarize yourself with the locations of Blue Light Emergency Phones around campus - if you ever have a problem these are a direct line to the McNeese Police.

What is a 'Blue Light' Police Emergency Phone?
University community members are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Blue Light Police Emergency Phones that are located on campus. They are housed in blue towers with a blue light overhead or in the student parking garage they are housed in boxes with a blue strobe light. Pushing the emergency phone button will connect you directly to the McNeese Police Communications Center.


Can I be fingerprinted at the University Police Department?
Not at the present time. However, McNeese Police works in partnership with the Louisiana State Police (LSP) and has received a new Autimated FIngerprint Idnetification System (AFIS) machine that will be installed during the spring of 2016. Once the machine has been installed and tied into the LSP AFIS system the students, faculty and staff can receive free fingerprint cards for professional licensing purposes. Students usually are required to have fingerprint cards for certain licensing and background investigations.

In the mean time, the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office can do licensing for licenses and employment purposes at their headquarters office located at 5300 Broad Street in Lake Charles (near the Chenault Airport). Fingerprinting is conducted on M - F from 8 am to 4 pm. You will need to bring your fingerprint cards with you and there is a $20 fee.

How do I get a copy of a police report?
You may call or come by the police department Monday - Friday between 8 am to 4 pm to request a report where you are listed as the victim of a crime or vehicle crash. Please allow 3 to 5 business days before requesting a copy of the report to ensure that the initial case has been entered into the police computer system.

If I'm injured on campus what assistance would I receive?
All university police officers are trained and certified by the State of Louisiana as Emergency Medical Responders (EMR). Officers are dispatched to all reported injuries and medical emergencies. They will provide initial support and care and determine if a higher level of emergency care is required such as Acadian Ambulance which has units staffed with EMT's and paramedics throughout the parish. The Lake Charles Fire Department is dispatched to provide assistance at all significant vehicle crashes as needed.

All injuries occurring on campus trigger an investigation by the police department to determine the cause.

The McNeese State University Police Department is the only law enforcement agency in the state that has cross-trained all of their officers as both EMR's and as Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) members. We believe that its important to be able to respond to both the physical injury needs and to provide support to individuals who may also be in crisis.


What is the role of the University Police Department?
University police have primary responsibility for developing and deploying services, programs and strategies for maintaining a reasonably safe campus. Police patrol campus on foot, ATV, bicycle and vehicle. University police provide a full range of services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Some of these services include investigating reports of crimes, conducting follow-up investigations as necessary, and filing criminal charges or referring matters (as appropriate) to another department or agency. Police operations are supported by a Communications Center, which is staffed by trained and certified dispatchers who answer calls for service, dispatch officers and other emergency services to incidents, operate closed circuit camera systems and monitor intrusion, fire and environmental alarms.

What kind of testing is required to become a University Police Officer?
McNeese State University Police maintains a sworn staff of 13 police officers. Each officer has taken a state civil service test, followed by written and essay exams. An oral board interview is then conducted. If passing scores are received then a background investigation is conducted along with a voice stress or polypgrah exam. A psychological exam by a licensed psychologist is also conducted along with a drug screen. A medical examination is then followed by a physical ability test administered by the police academy that consists of a 1.5 mile timed run, 400 yard dash, sit-ups and push ups.

What makes McNeese State University Police Officers different from all other police officers in Louisiana?
After completing the Basic Police Academy our university officers are the only officers that receive additional training in:
  1. Emergency Medical Responce 
  2. Sexual assault response and investigation.
  3. Crisis Intervention Team 
  4. Homicide investigation