Faculty Senate Procedures
We Change Lives
1. The Executive Committee shall meet a week before each monthly meeting of the Faculty Senate to prepare the agenda for the Senate’s meeting.
2. Proposals submitted to the Executive Committee for inclusion on next month’s agenda need to be received before the Executive Committee’s monthly meeting. These proposals need to be submitted on the approved form.
3. The executive committee shall be responsible for the distribution of the agenda to all Senate members a minimum of five days before the monthly meeting of the Senate.
4. All proposals from the floor must be submitted on the approved form to the Secretary by 4:30 PM.
5. Each new proposal shall be read to the Faculty Senate during the portion of the meeting devoted to new business.
6. All proposals that have been read shall be dealt with according to Robert’s Rules of Order which permit the Senate to commit, to amend, to adopt, or to reject the proposal. Here is a , and a complete version can be found here.
7. If a majority of the Senators approve, the President shall assign the proposal to the appropriate committee of the Faculty Senate. If less than a majority of members approve, the proposal shall be dropped from the Senate’s agenda. If a Senator does not cast a vote (formally abstains), this will lower the threshold for meeting a majority or two-third vote.
8. At the next meeting of the Senate, the committee shall make a full report of its studies on the proposal and announce any alterations or objections that the committee feels advisable to make.
Proxy appointments require the approval of the Faculty Senate President. If a Senator cannot be present at a Faculty Senate meeting, the Senator must submit ato the Secretary at least 24 hours before the meeting, and the Senator’s proxy must bring the signed hard copy to the FS meeting.