C.A.R.E. Mentorship Program
We Change Lives
Quick Registration Links
The acronym C.A.R.E. breaks down as follows:
C (onnect) – Students will be connected to resources and opportunities the university offers.
A (ccelerate) – Students will accelerate progression toward completing a degree plan.
R (etain) – Students will be retained due to the connections they build.
E (ngage)- Students will be engaged to the campus and student life.
The success of these outcomes will be achieved by connecting C.A.R.E. program students with a personal resource on campus that will serve as their mentor. Mentors are faculty/staff members of the university, or successful graduate students and seniors that have a passion to assist with the development of their peers.
The C.A.R.E. program is operated within the Office of Student Services. It is administered by the Dean of Students. The director of student activities and cultural engagement and supporting staff will coordinate the day-to-day management of program’s activity.
C.A.R.E. Program Mentors
- Individuals serving as C.A.R.E. mentors should be classified as full-time faculty/staff, graduate student, or senior undergraduate student (90+ credit hours completed).
- Undergraduate (senior) student mentors are required to hold a 2.5 or higher overall grade point average.
- Undergraduate students can only mentor students on the freshman level.
- Graduate student mentors are required to hold and maintain a 3.0 or higher overall grade point average.
- Graduate students can only mentor students on the sophomore and freshmen levels.
- Faculty/staff mentors should be genuinely committed to the development of McNeese students.
- Mentor Registration
- Mentors are required to commit for one academic year. The commitment will be renewed annually beginning June 1.
- Register to be a CARE Program Mentor
C.A.R.E. Program Student Participants (Mentees)
- Any part-time or full-time McNeese student can be a participant in the C.A.R.E. program.
- Similar to prospective mentors, C.A.R.E. program students will complete an information form to collect information regarding the background and interests of the student to ensure they are matched with the most compatible mentor.
- Student Enrollment
- Complete and submit the registration form to be enrolled in the CARE Mentorship Program
- Students that voluntarily enroll in the program are encouraged to complete one calendar year in the program, but are free to discontinue their participation when necessary. Written notice is expected if a student discontinues the program.
- Students who are enrolled in the program to fulfill a mandate must remain enrolled for one calendar year.
- Students may be mandated to enroll in the program for various reasons. These reasons include, but are not limited to: fulfilling a discipline or academic integrity sanction, as a condition for re-admittance due to academic suspension, as a condition for an admissions exception, or any other identified cause a university faculty or staff member may mandate a student’s enrollment.
- Students are welcome to remain in the program as long as they are enrolled in classes at the university.
For more information about the C.A.R.E. Mentorship Program contact the Office of Student Services at 337-475-5609 or email email@example.com.