We Change Lives
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act is federal legislation that provides funds to individuals and businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. One part of this federal program allocates money to higher education institutions to make awards directly to eligible college students who have experienced financial burdens due to COVID-19.
CARES Act funds are limited to students that were enrolled during the Spring 2020 Semester and are eligible, or could be eligible, to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965.
There are two steps to apply.
- Eligible students need to have a completed FAFSA form for either the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year. Visit https://www.fafsa.gov to promptly complete a FAFSA if you have not already done so. The McNeese FAFSA code is 002017.
- Students who are eligible must complete the McNeese CARES Act Fund Online Application. Eligible students will receive guidance and a link to the application through their McNeese email account.
Distribution of Funds
McNeese will distribute 65 percent of the available funds to eligible students that met the May 22 deadline starting May 29, 2020.
Eligible students that did not complete an application will receive additional notifications on how to apply for the CARES Act funds. A second disbursement will be issued later this summer.
Eligible students were notified on May 8, 2020 to complete a brief application by May 22 to receive CARES Act funds.
CARES Act Award Chart
|What was your enrollment status as of March 5, 2020||In how many undergraduate hours were you enrolled?||or||In how many graduate hours were you enrolled?||Did you receive PELL Grant? If so, your CARES Act award is:||Did you not receive PELL Grant? If so, your CARES Act award is:|
|Full Time||12 or more||9 or more||$950||$750|
|Three Quarter Time||9 – 11||6.75 – 8||$650||$500|
|Half Time||6 – 8||4.5 – 6.74||$475||$375|
|Less Than Half Time||1 – 5||1 – 4.49||$250||$200|
For more information, see our FAQ below:
Bank Mobile is a vendor McNeese uses to help distribute refunds after financial aid and scholarships are applied to student accounts. While CARES Act funds are not considered financial aid, McNeese will also use Bank Mobile to distribute CARES Act funds.
To ensure you receive funds quickly, please verify you have selected a payment preference with Bank Mobile. To set up a payment preference:
1) If you have never selected a refund preference, log into your MyMcNeese portal, then click on “REFUND SETUP (Bank Mobile)” under the Quick Links section on the homepage. You can opt to have your funds deposited to your Bank Mobile account (1-2 days), your personal checking account (2-7 days), or mailed to you via paper check (up to 21 days).
2) If you have previously set up a refund preference and need to update your information, log into your Bank Mobile account at https://mcneesechoicecard.vibeaccount.com/. If you need assistance with log in information, contact Bank Mobile Customer Care at 1-877-327-9515.
3) If you have previously set up a refund preference and no update is needed, no action is required. If no refund preference is selected, you will be issued a paper check.
Resources and Documentation
- Posted June 2020 – CARES Act Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students 45 Day Report
- Posted April 2021 – CARES Act Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students
- Cares Act Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students Report for the quarter ended September 30, 2020
- Cares Act Budget and Expenditure Report for the quarter ended September 30, 2020
- Cares Act Budget and Expenditure Report for the quarter ended December 31, 2020
- Cares Act Budget and Expenditure Report for the quarter ended March 31, 2021 *revised*