1.08 General Safety Rules
Vice President of Business Affairs
Office of Environmental, Health, Safety & Hazardous Waste
- Safety rules are necessary to define the minimum standards that must be upheld by every employee or student regardless of his or her capacity within the University.
- Enforcement of these rules is the responsibility of all University employees and students
- Safety rules shall be given to all employees at hire and are to be reviewed on an annual basis.
- Rules should also be posted annually for review of all employees
- All meetings to review safety rules should be documented and sent to the Environmental Health Safety/Hazardous Waste Department.
General Safety Rules
- Report accidents or any unsafe activity to a departmental supervisor.
- Law prohibits possession or use of any weapons on campus.
- The University is an alcohol and drug free zone. Law prohibits possession or use of these substances.
- Smoking is allowed only in designated areas and a minimum of 25’ away from any facility entrance.
- Horseplay and fighting are not tolerated on campus.
- Before beginning a task, notify your supervisor of any impairment that may reduce your ability to perform in a safe manner.
- Operate equipment only if you are trained and authorized to do so.
- Be sure to use personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect yourself from hazards.
- Keep an orderly work environment. Pay close attention to hazards that can cause slips, trips, or falls.
- Store flammables, hazardous materials, and hazardous waste in appropriate containers.
- Use proper lifting techniques. Bend your knees when lifting objects. do not bend your back when lifting objects.
- Fasten safety belts before starting any motor vehicle.
- Follow recommended work procedures.
- Maintain an orderly environment.
- Know departmental rules regarding first aid, evacuation routes, and emergency notifications.
- Assist and cooperate with all safety inspections and investigations.
- Report near misses and property damage regardless of severity. Comply with all traffic signs, signals, markers, etc.
- Adhere to all departmental rules and procedures.
- Report potentially unsafe acts or conditions to your supervisor.
Issue Date: 02/27/04
Review Date: 03/15/2021
Revision NO: 1.0
Revision Date: 06/12/09
Revision Note: Revisions Noted in Italics