Skip to content

Current International Students

We Change Lives

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) provides F-1 students with the option of practical training during their program of study, with the choice of either full-time or part-time employment.

Guidelines for CPT:

1) CPT must relate to your major, and the work experience should be part of your program of study (tied to a course at McNeese).
2) To qualify for CPT, you must have studied as an F-1 student for at least one academic year.
3) If you have 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you are not eligible to apply for OPT.
4) Part-time CPT and fewer than 12 months of full-time CPT authorization does not affect your OPT eligibility.

Note: Graduate students may qualify for CPT during their first semester, should their program require this. 

Applying for CPT:
To apply for CPT you will need to come to the our office and bring the following items:
1) Signed letter from your academic advisor stating the following:
  • Internship course name and number (ex. ENGR 550)
  • Employer name
  • Approximate work hours/week (indicate part-time or full-time)
  • Approximate start and end dates of employment
  • How the internship corresponds with your degree program
2) Signed letter from the employer sponsoring your CPT stating the following:
  • Employer name and address
  • Approximate work hours/week (indicate part-time or full-time)
  • Approximate start and end dates of employment
  • Supervisor name and phone number

Optional Practical Training (OPT), allows F-1 students the opportunity to gain work experience in the United States. In general, F-1 students do OPT after completing a degree program such as an associates, bachelors or masters degree, referred to as Post-Completion OPT

The information below only pertains to Post-Completion OPT. Should you have any questions regarding other forms of OPT, please visit our office.

Applying For OPT 
You may begin the application process for OPT up to 90 days before graduation. While you can apply for OPT up to 60 days after graduation, it is best to do so before graduation to ensure timely approval. We encourage all students to apply for OPT no later than 3 weeks before graduation.

Please note that you do not need a job offer to begin applying for OPT. Act responsibly and apply early!

1) To begin applying for OPT, please email our office at and schedule an appointment with the International Student Advisor.
2) Tell us your schedule, and we will try to find a time that is best for you.
3) Also, you will need to bring the following items:
  • Completed form i-765 form .pdf  (any section you are unsure of, please leave blank)
  • Money order or check for $380 payable to the Department of Homeland Security
  • Two identical passport photos
  • Copies of your passport, I-94*, Visa
  • Letter from academic advisor verifying your expected date of graduation and major (must be printed on McNeese letterhead) 
*Note, you may not have an I-94 card, as they have been phased out. If so, you may print your I-94 at i-94Retrival

Jobs You Can Do For OPT
1) Paid Employment (At least 20 hours/week)
2) Multiple Employers
3) Short-term multiple employers (performing artists like singers/dancers/actors)
4) Work for hire (contract-based work)
5) Self-employed Business
6) Unpaid Employment (volunteer work)
Note: Students should maintain a list of all paid performances, their dates and time.
Remember: The job must be related to your field of study

Unemployment During OPT

After your OPT start date, you are only allowed up to 90 days of unemployment.

Note: If you are getting close to 90 days of unemployment you should make plans to exit the country OR re-enroll in a new study program (the goal is to be in-status).

What To Report During OPT/STEM
During OPT, an F-1 Student is required to report the following information to our office:

1) Current Address (Within 10 Days of Change)
2) Employers Name, Address, Phone #
3) Direct Supervisor’s Name, Email, Phone #
4) Change of Employer
5) Interruptions of Employment
You can report via:

Travel While On OPT:
Firstly, an F-1 student may only travel outside the U.S. after securing employment and recieving an EAD card.
The list of requirements for re-entry after foreign travel during OPT are below:
  • Valid OPT Form I-20, endorsed for travel on page 3
    • The signature must not be more than six months old at the time of re-entry to the United States.
  • Valid F-1 visa stamp in the passport
  • Valid passport
  • Evidence of employment
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

STEM Extention:
After completing the allowed 12 months of OPT employment, some students may qualify for a 24-month extension of OPT called STEM if their field of study is (S)science/(T)technology/(E)engineering or (M)math-related. 

For a full list of all degree programs that qualify for STEM please visit: STEM-Designated Degree Program list.pdf.