Skip to content

Student Frequently Asked Questions

We Change Lives

How do I get my McNeese student ID and parking tag?

Students will receive fee statements via e-mail. Once you have paid your fees or signed your Financial Aid authorization, you may go to University Police located on the west side of Ryan Street. A picture will be taken for your McNeese ID and after providing your valid driver’s license and vehicle registration, you will receive a hangtag that assigns you to a specific parking area.

How do I find where my classes meet?

After registering for your classes through Banner-Self Service, there is a link on the Registration menu that says “Detailed Student Schedule”. Clicking on this link will take you to a printable page where your classes are listed alphabetically with information such as the days, time, building, classroom and assigned Instructor (if known). There are some views of your schedule which DO NOT give this detailed information so please ensure you are choosing the correct link.

How often do I need to see my advisor?

As often as you need to. All McNeese students with less than 60 hours are required to meet with their advisor before registration. As a freshman you will need to meet with your assigned advisor during the advising period. This is an opportunity for you to plan for the next semester of classes and to ensure that you are complying with your degree requirements. You advisor is a great resource for any other questions you may have.

How do I make an appointment to see my advisor?

Visit “Continuing Student Appointment” to use our Appointment-Plus system to schedule an appointment with your advisor. Remember that in general, spring advising begins in October and summer/fall advising usually begins in March. Check our website or the Class Schedule for the exact dates.

I want to go to law school, what major should I choose?

Law schools generally accept applicants from all academic backgrounds. The crucial thing is to major in an area that you enjoy and will have success. Law schools tend to look favorably upon programs that develop a student’s ability to think critically, learn independently, and research thoroughly and accurately. The College of Liberal Arts has several degree programs which emphasize the skills and backgrounds needed for law school. Please refer to “Preparation for Law School” for more details.

I want to go to medical/dental/pharmacy school, is there a major that is best for me?

The best approach to preparing for a degree at a professional school is to contact some of the universities you are interested in applying to and inquire about their suggested pre-professional courses. More and more professional schools are opening their admission standards to include any academic major, however, science is important to all of these programs.

What is a pre-requisite? Co-requisite? Major restriction?

Pre-requisite refers to a prior requirement for entry into a course. Examples would include Engl 101 before Engl 102, Psychology 101 before Psychology 233. Co-requisite suggests that you must take two classes together. Major restriction refers to courses that are only for majors in that academic field.

When do I register?

Priority registration for continuing students usually starts in March for summer and fall semesters and in October for the spring semester. Our website and other local publications will include all pertinent information and dates.

How do I register for my classes?

Students at McNeese are encouraged to register through Banner Self-Service. Any students who have completed 60 hours or less are required to see their advisor during the advising period. At that time the advisor will give the student their ALTERNATE PIN which is necessary to allow the student to schedule their classes online. You must login to Banner Self service by using your username and password. If you are unsure of what these might be, please contact your advisor for assistance.

I want to change my major, what do I do?

If you are still a student in Basic Studies changing your major only involves a trip to your advisor’s office. Majors are changed usually during the advising and registration periods. If you have already been transferred to your major department, you must complete a curriculum change form, get the relevant signatures from both departments (the one you are leaving and the one you are going to) and submit this form to the Registrar’s office.

The class I want is full, is there any way to get into it?

When a class is full/closed you have two options. Your first option is to wait until late registration when seats become available due to purging of the students who have failed to pay their fees by the deadline. The second option is to approach the department that is offering the course and ask to be permitted into the class. A permit/override can only be authorized by the department head under which the course is being offered.

How do I know if I am a full-time student?

You are considered a full-time student if you are scheduled in at least 12 credit hours. This is usually four classes.

How do I contact my instructor?

Refer to your syllabus for the class; instructors usually include contact information and office hours on their syllabi.

How do I drop a class?

It depends on when you drop it. If you want to drop a class before the end of late registration, you can do so online by logging on to Banner Self-Service. After late registration ends, you must see your advisor and get a course withdrawal or drop form. This form will be completed by your advisor and then you must submit it to the Registrar’s Office. Failure to submit your form to the Registrar’s office can result in an F in the class. Withdrawal from a class appears as a W on your transcript but does not impact your GPA.

I’m having difficulty in a class, what should I do?

The first thing is to speak with your instructor. Instructors should have a contact email address, their office hours and office location in their syllabus. Additionally, you can also visit the McNeese Write to Excellence Center or the Academic Computing and Learning Center. You can contact these departments for more information on the services offered. These services are free to all students so please use the resources available. The important thing is to seek help as soon as possible.

What is academic probation?

A student is usually placed on academic probation when their cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0. A student will remain on probation (as long as each semester they earn a semester GPA of 2.0 so a C average) until their cumulative GPA is a 2.0 or higher. If a student is on academic probation and fails to earn a semester GPA of 2.0, they will be suspended and have to sit out one academic semester.

What is the difference between a withdrawal and a resignation?

Withdrawal means that you are dropping one or more of your classes but still retaining at least one class. Course withdrawal forms are available from a student’s academic advisor. A resignation signifies that you are dropping ALL of your classes even if you only had one class. Resignations are done at the Registrar’s Office. Please be aware that there can be serious consequences financial and otherwise to withdrawals and resignations.

How can I get a copy of my transcript?

A copy of your transcript can be obtained by completing the Transcript Request Form and returning it to the Registrar’s Office.

Can I take classes at the University in my hometown over the summer? Will McNeese accept these classes?

Yes, however the final decision about acceptance of those credits lies with the Registrar. Students should see their advisor prior to enrolling in a course at another university. To transfer classes from another institution after successfully completing the course, you would request that an official transcript be sent to McNeese’s Office of the Registrar. The transcript must be in a sealed envelope. All transfer evaluations are done by the Registrar’s Office.