McNeese Fall 2018 SAGE Series
McNeese State University’s 2018 Fall SAGE series will kick off with a presentation titled, “Between the Levees: Adrift on America’s Untamable River,” by Boyce Upholt at 3 p.m. Monday, Sept. 24, in the SEED Center.
SAGE offers a series of short lectures and discussions on a specific theme each fall and spring held on Monday afternoons in the SEED Center. This fall’s theme is “Rolling on the River.”
Upholt’s presentation will detail a six-week long expedition he made in 2017 from St. Louis to the mouth of the Mississippi River in a hand-paddled, 29-foot cypress-strip canoe. He will discuss his experiences, the river’s history, landscape and how human impact has changed this cornerstone of American mythos since Mark Twain’s time.
Upholt is an award-winning freelance journalist based in the Mississippi Delta. His work has appeared in the Believer, the Atlantic, the New Republic and Sierra. He was named a 2016 “Writer of the Year” by the International Regional Magazine Association for his work at Mississippi Magazine. He is currently working on a book about the Mississippi River.
Other presentations this semester will include:
- Oct. 1 – “Recipes and Memories from Louisiana’s German Coast,” presented by Nancy Tregre Wilson
- Oct. 22 – “Loyal Forces: The American Animals of World War II,” presented by Toni Kiser
- Oct. 29 – “Cajun and Creole Folktales, Deep Meanings in Small Places,” presented by Barry Ancelet
- Nov. 5 – “A Woman of Firsts Who Changed Dance in New Orleans – and America!”, presented by Nina Bozak
- Nov. 12 – “Native Flora of Louisiana,” presented by Lowell Urbatsch
Lectures are open to the public and cost is $59 for the series, $55 after Sept. 24. For more information or to register, call 337-475-5616 or visit www.mcneese.edu/leisure.
Persons needing accommodations as provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact the ADA Coordinator at 337-475-5428, voice; 337-475-5960, fax; 337-562-4227, TDD/TTY, hearing impaired; or by email at email@example.com.
The Office of Public Relations and University Events
4205 Ryan Street
Lake Charles, LA 70609