Payment Frequently Asked Questions

Your First Choice

I’m in the Louisiana National Guard. How do I receive my tuition exemption?

Bring your active military ID card to the Cashier’s Office every semester you are enrolled. If you are in good academic standing with McNeese and your name appears on the state’s National Guard listing, your exemption will be applied to your account.

I have been approved for Louisiana Vocational Rehabilitation benefits. What do I do now?

Bring your PO (purchase order/authorization) from your VR counselor to the Cashier’s Office for processing.

I’m an active duty soldier in the U.S. Army. How do I use Army Tuition Assistance to pay for my classes?

Register for classes and have the Registrar’s Office certify your enrollment for Army Tuition Assistance. Once you are certified, the appropriate credit will be posted to your account. If you are a first time recipient of Army Tuition Assistance, you must bring your letter to the Cashier’s Office to determine what percentage your award covers.

I’m a senior citizen and I heard that I could enroll in a class for free. Is this true?

If you are 60 or older as of the first day of classes, you are eligible to enroll in a three credit hour course for a reduced rate of $63.50 (which is the amount of fees mandated by statute). You will also be responsible for any additional class fees, such as lab fees, online class fees, etc. If you enroll in more than three credit hours, those credit hours are assessed at the regular rate.

I am a McNeese employee. How do I receive the tuition/fee discount for myself or my dependent?

If you are a full-time McNeese employee, you and your dependents may qualify for reduced tuition and fees. You should view the policy at to make sure you and/or your dependents qualify. Whoever is enrolling in classes – you or your dependents – must be in good academic standing to receive this benefit. To apply for the reduced tuition/fee rates, access the appropriate form through the MyMcNeese portal.

Once logged in, click on Employee, and under Employee Forms, click on Faculty/Staff Enrollment/Fee Exemption Program and print out the appropriate form. Once the form is completed and you have obtained the necessary approval signatures, submit the form to the Registrar’s Office for verification of academic good standing. The Registrar’s Office will then submit the form to Human Resources for verification of employment. Once verifications are completed, the form is sent to Administrative Accounting to post the credit.

How can I set up a Payment Plan?

Please refer to this FAQ about Nelnet managed payment plans:

I have earned an Americorp Education Award. Who can help me with receiving my funds and any questions I may have?

You should request that funding from your personal Americorp account to be sent to McNeese. Americorp will then email your request to the McNeese Office of Financial Aid. Once the request has been completed by the Office of Financial Aid, your Americorp funding will be displayed on your Student Account for viewing in Banner Self Service. Your Americorp funds will be sent in two disbursements per semester, with the first one for the 14th class day and the second one for the mid-point of the semester. Any questions about your Americorp funds should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid at 337-475-5056 or

I have been approved for Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits. What do I do now?

If you have been approved for Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits, your assigned counselor will send a VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status) to the Registrar’s Office. In addition, each semester you must submit a completed Request to be Certified form (which is available in the Registrar’s Office) to the Veterans Affairs counselor located in the Registrar’s Office. Once both forms are received, the Registrar’s Office will certify your enrollment in the VA electronic database.

I heard that dependent children of full-time police officers, deputy sheriffs, and firefighters who are killed or permanently disabled in line of duty are eligible for scholarships. Is this true?

Yes. Louisiana RS: 1681 and 1682 provide scholarships for dependent children of full-time police officers, deputy sheriffs, and firefighters who are killed or permanently disabled in line of duty. (Spouses of disabled/deceased firefighters may also qualify for these awards.) The awards may consist of tuition/fees, book allowance, on-campus housing and meal plans. Specific definitions, values and qualifications are outlined in state statutes. If you feel you qualify for one of these awards, you must be accepted to the university before scholarship eligibility may be determined.

Once you are accepted, you should submit the following to the Scholarships Office:

  1. Verification from the employing agency or retirement system that the police officer/firefighter was employed full-time and killed/disabled in the line of duty
  2. Birth certificate of dependent child;
  3. Marriage certificate (if spouse of firefighter is applying);
  4. Most recent tax return indicating dependency status of applicant;
  5. If transferring from another college/university, verification of prior tuition/fee payments from the former institution.

I’m eligible for Veterans Affairs educational benefits. How do I take advantage of this opportunity?

If you have never applied for or received VA educational benefits, you must first apply to the Department of Veterans Affairs. You can apply online with Every semester you want to receive benefits, you must complete a Request to Be Certified with the Veterans Educational Assistance Program (R-471). This is a McNeese form that can be downloaded from our Web page or obtained from the Veterans Affair’s office.
If you will be receiving benefits under Chapters 30, 1606, or 1607, you must verify your attendance with VA every month. You can do this by accessing VA’s Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling 1-877-823-2378. You will not receive payment until VA receives your verification. The McNeese Veterans Affairs Office is located in Kaufman Hall, Room 115. More information can be found on McNeese’s Web page ( ) or by calling 337-475-5625.