How to Apply for Financial Aid
We Change Lives
No matter what type of aid you’re applying for or what type of student you are, you’ll need to fill out and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) once it becomes available Oct. 1, and submit it to McNeese. McNeese will use the information from your FAFSA to determine not just student loan eligibility and funding, but whether you qualify for scholarships, grants and work-study programs.
To apply for financial aid:
- You will need this ID for access to Federal Student Aid’s online system to complete your FAFSA. Head over to fsaid.ed.gov to complete this process.
- Access the form at studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa and make sure to include McNeese’s FAFSA code: 002017.
- Most students complete the application in less than 30 minutes. Independent students should use most current federal tax return to complete the application, while dependent students will need their parent’s most current federal tax return and income information.
- The priority deadline for submitting FAFSA at McNeese is May 1, but the sooner you submit your application, the sooner you’ll know how much you qualify for.
- It may take up to six weeks for the Office of Financial Aid to process and complete your application, and applications can’t be completed until all necessary forms are received. If you are missing any needed information, the Office of Financial Aid will contact you through email.
- Once your application has been processed, and if you’re in good academic standing, you will be emailed an award notification. You can monitor the status of your application through the Financial Aid tab in Banner Self Service.
- Once your application has been processed, you will receive a financial aid award notification, and can accept or decline the award by going to the Financial Aid tab of Banner Self Service.
- If you’re a first-time borrower receiving a direct unsubsidized loan, you must complete Entrance Counseling online and electronically sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) with the U.S. Department of Education. These must be completed before your loan can be disbursed.
- All financial aid recipients must sign a financial aid authorization each semester, even if you have no balance on your account.
- You can electronically sign your financial aid authorization on Banner Self Service by selecting the Student tab, then Registration, then Financial Aid/Scholarship Authorization.
Financial aid is initially awarded based on full-time enrollment for the fall and spring semesters (and half time for the summer semesters), and will be adjusted to your actual enrollment once enrollment is final for that term. Awards will be disbursed to student accounts automatically.
To receive financial aid, you must fill out a FAFSA every year.
Important Dates & Deadlines
Oct 1, 2019: FAFSA becomes available
Dec 1, 2019: Priority scholarship deadline
May 1, 2020: McNeese financial aid application deadline.