In accordance with Louisiana Revised Statute 17:170, institutions of higher learning must require proof of immunization for enrollment and are required to maintain a record of immunizations for students.
McNeese State University requires entering students to provide proof of certain immunizations or a signed waiver of vaccination and release from responsibility. Requirements include vaccinations against measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, and meningococcal disease as indicated below:
Measles: Students born after 1956 must provide proof of two (2) doses of measles vaccine:
- Requirement for first dose: Given in 1968 or later; live vaccine without gamma globulin; given on or after first birthday
- Requirement for second dose: Given after 1968; live vaccine without gamma globulin; give at any age as long as the first dose is given on or after the first birthday, and the second dose is given at least one month after the first dose
- A history of physician-diagnosed measles is acceptable for establishing immunity, but must be documented by the diagnosing physician. Additionally, laboratory evidence of measles immunity prior to entry is acceptable.
Mumps and Rubella: All students must provide proof of two (2) vaccinations against mumps and rubella.
- Documentation of immunity by serologic test is also acceptable.
Tetanus and Diptheria (Td) or Tetanus Toxoid Reduced Diptheria AcellularPertussis (Tdap):
All students must provide proof of a Td or Tdap vaccination within the previous 10 years.
- Students can be considered to have completed a primary series earlier in life, unless stated otherwise.
Meningococcal: All students must provide proof of two doses of meningococcal conjugate vaccination separated by at lease eight weeks.
- Exception: One dose of meningococcal is acceptable if first dose given on or after age 16.
The Proof of Immunization Compliance form or a copy of immunization records is required of all applicants new to McNeese. Applicants may request an exemption from the immunization requirements by signing the Waiver of Vaccination and Release from Responsibility section on the Proof of Immunization Compliance form and agreeing to leave campus in the event of an outbreak until the outbreak is over or proof of immunization is provided.
While acceptance to the University may be granted prior to receipt of proof of immunization, registration into classes is prohibited until proof of immunization or the waiver of vaccination is received. Once proof of immunization is received, Health Services reviews, records, and electronically transmits immunization records to the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals. If it is determined that vaccinations are required, a registration hold will be placed on the student’s record and the student will be contacted regarding the required vaccination(s).
In the event of an outbreak of measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, or meningococcal disease, Health Services will identify any students who submitted waivers of vaccination and instruct those students to leave campus until the outbreak is over or proof of immunization is submitted. This action will be coordinated with University Services, University Police, Academic and Student Affairs, and the Registrar’s Office.
This policy is communicated through the Academic Advisory Council, Administrative Advisory Council, the University Policy Page, the Academic Catalog, the University website, and admission/recruiting materials.