Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if online learning is for me?

Adult learning courses are 100% online, so you have to be comfortable learning on your own, at a fast pace. You also have to be comfortable sitting at your computer! Visit the Louisiana Online site to read about online learning and take the self-assessment.

What degree programs are offered by the adult learning program?

Currently, Criminal JusticeFamily and Child Studies, Sociology and Management and Psychology are the only degrees offered through adult learning at McNeese State University. However, there are also Criminal Justice and Nursing offered, Organizational Leadership, General Studies, Library Science Certification and several other certifications through nursing, and education that are offered.

How much does the program cost?

Adult learning classes cost the same as a traditional face-to-face class, however there is an additional $20/per credit electronic learning fee assessed for online courses. Since the adult learning program is 100% online, students outside the state of Louisiana do not pay Out-of-State tuition. See the breakdown of registration fees per hour under the current schedule; fee payment.

Tuition and fees are subject to change by action of the Louisiana Legislature, the Board of Regents, or by student vote on special assessment.

Does the adult learning program qualify for financial aid?

Yes, because the adult learning is a part of an established degree program, all of these classes qualify for financial aid just like traditional classes. For an adult learning student to receive financial assistance they must be enrolled in six or more hours. For more information about the types of financial aid available, contact the McNeese Financial Aid Office at 337.475.5065.

Do my credits and hours from other colleges count at McNeese?

As long as the credit was earned at a regionally accredited institution and is compatible with the degree program, the answer is almost always yes. All transfer credit is subject to the approval of the receiving school. All adult learning must provide transcripts from all colleges you have attended.

Are there other ways to earn credit?

Yes, McNeese offers adult learners several opportunities to earn credit through alternative means. We recognize that people can learn outside the classroom. Students may obtain credit through the following advanced placement and credit examination programs:

  • College Board Advance Placement Program (AP)
  • McNeese State University Advanced Placement Program
  • College Board College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • McNeese State University Credit Examinations
  • Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Portfolio

If I am already a McNeese student and want to get into the adult learning program, what should I do?

First, you will need to fill out an online Application, which includes the adult learning application online. Once accepted into the adult learning program, the Director of E-Learning will contact you to guide you through the registration process. If you are just starting your college career, you are still eligible to become a adult learning student.

Do I need to enroll at McNeese before I can qualify for adult learning?

Actually, you can do both at the same time. However, you must first be admitted to the university before you can be advised for the upcoming semester.  You can find more information on the steps to apply by visiting the Admission's Requirements of the adult learning website.

What other degree programs will be offered through adult learning?

Several schools around the state are participating in the adult learning program, each with designated majors. For more information, visit the statewide Louisiana Online website.