We Change Lives
Parent Orientation Information
Overnight Accommodations: If necessary, overnight accommodations are not provided, but recommendations are available at the bottom of this web page.
Questions You Would Like Answered Now?: If you have questions concerning the student or parent McNeese experience you were hoping to have answered earlier this summer with our previously planned orientation format, great news! We will be hosting online Q&A sessions for parents on July 15 (at 5pm) and July 29 (at 5pm). These sessions will feature campus professionals who will be visible remotely to answer submitted questions. To submit a question, click this link.
|8:00am – 8:45am||Parent Orientation & Cowoy Camp Freshman Orientation Check-In||Bulber Auditorium Lawn|
|9:00am – 9:30am||Freshman Orientation Opening Session||Buber Auditorium|
|9:45am – 10:00am||Parent Orientation Kick-Off||Shearman Fine Arts Center – Tritico Theater|
|10:00am – 10:45am||Support Services & Student Engagement Presentations Round 1||Tritico Theater|
|10:45am – 11:00am||Break|
|11:00am – 11:30am||Support Services & Student Engagement Presentations Round 2||Tritico Theater|
|11:30am – 12:00pm||Dean of Students Morning Wrap-Up||Tritico Theater|
|12:00pm – 1:30pm||Departmental Table Browse (12:00pm – 1:30pm)
Disability Services Consultations
Lunch on Your Own
|Shearman Fine Arts Center – Grand Gallery (Table Browse)
Rowdy’s Cafeteria (Lunch)
|1:30pm – 2:30pm||Enrollment Management
Student Finances: Bookstore, Financial Aid, Scholarships, Accounts Payable
|2:30pm – 3:00pm||Student Panel & Parent Orientation Wrap-Up||Tritico Theater|
|3:00pm – 4:00pm||(Optional) Academic Colleges Open Houses, Campus Tours, & Housing Tours||Designated Locations|
|4:00pm||Freshman Orientation Closing Activities||Bulber Auditorium|
Parent Orientation Presenting Areas:
- Student Health & Development (Counseling Center, Career Development Center, Health Services)
- Campus Police (Student Safety & Security)
- Campus Housing (On-campus living information)
- Campus Dining (Meal plans for resident and commuter students)
- Student Engagement (General Student Activities, Student Organizations, Fraternity/Sorority Life)
- Dean of Students (Student Rights & Responsibilities, Student Well-Being & Success, Campus Expectations)
- “Tips and Strategies for Parents” (Presented by the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students)
- Student Financials (Campus Bookstore, Financial Aid, Scholarships)
- Disability Services (Private consultations offered)
Academic Colleges Table Browse and (Optional) Open Houses:
- College of Business
- College of Science, Engineering, & Mathematics
- College of Education
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Nursing & Health Professions
- College of Agricultural Sciences
- Parent orientation presentations will take place in the Tritico Theater located in Shearman Fine Arts Annex (see map below).
- Freshmen Orientation for students begins in Bulber Auditorium then will be in various locations throughout each day.
- Memorial Gymnasium – #23
- Holbrook Student Union (Old Ranch) – #23
- Holbrook Student Union Annex (New Ranch)- #33
- Tritico Theater (Parent Orientation Presentations) – #29
- Bulber Auditorium – #6
- Campus Police is aware of visitors on campus for orientation dates.
- Tickets will not be issued if you are in a legal parking spot.
If you require accommodations, consider the properties below. Group rates are being discussed and will be announced when/if they are available.
Value: Comfort Inn Lake Charles
Hampton Inn Lake Charles
Economical: Springhill Suites Lake Charles
Luxury: Golden Nugget Casino & Hotel Resort
Click here for booking information: Coming Soon
Experience Lake Charles:
Here are recommendations of how to spend any free time in Lake Charles.
- Prien Lake Mall – 496 W. Priel Lake Rd, Lake Charles, LA 70601 337-477-7487 (shopping, dining, movie theater)
- Cinemark Movie Bistro – 3416 Derek Dr., Lake Charles, LA 70607 337-477-3913 (movies, dining)
- L’Auberge Casino Resort – 777 Ave L’Auberge, Lake Charles, LA 70601 – 337-395-7777 (dining, gaming, entertainment)
- Golden Nugget Casino Resort – 2550 Golden Nugget Blvd., Lake Charles, LA 70601 – 337-508-7777 (dining, gaming, entertainment)
- Isle of Capri Casino – 100 Westlake Ave., Westlake, LA 70669 – 337-430-0711 (dining, gaming, entertainment)
- USS Orleck Naval Museum – 604 N Enterprise Blvd., Lake Charles, LA 70601 – 337-214-7447 (historic museum)
- Mardi Gras Museum of Imperial Calcasieu – 809 Kirby St., Lake Charles, LA 70601 – 337-430-0043 (cultural museum)
- 1911 Historic City Hall Arts & Cultural Center – 1001 Ryan St., Lake Charles, LA 70601 – 337-491-9147 (arts & cultural museum)
- Children’s Museum of SWLA – 327 Broad St., Lake Charles, LA 70601 – 337-433-9420 (kid-friendly interactive museum)
- Altitude Trampoline Park – 3009 Gerstner Memorial Dr., Lake Charles, LA 70601 – 337-602-6550 (family entertainment)
- Petro Bowl Lake Charles – 630 Petro Point Dr., Lake Charles, LA 70607 – 337-477-7554 (bowling, family entertainment)
- Putt-Putt Golf – 620 Petro Point Dr., Lake Charles, LA 70607 – 337-480-1954 (mini-golf family interatctivity)
View thisfor more ideas of how to experience Lake Charles!