Registering with the Office of Disability Services
We Change Lives
- Applicants requesting services should contact the Office of Disability Services (337) 475-5916 to obtain registration form.
- Students are encouraged to register with the Office of Disability Services at the beginning of every new semester.
- Registering with the Office of Disability Services is not the same as registering for college. When you register to attend the university, you will not be asked if you have a disability and no information will be sent to our office regarding your registration. You apply for admission to the university prior to applying for services with the Office of Disability Services.
STEP ONE – SUBMIT ALL OF THE FOLLOWING
- AN APPLICATION FORM
- PROVIDE DOCUMENTATION ON YOUR DISABILITY (Documentation needs to be from a qualified professional)
- A LIST OF SERVICES provided in high school and/or other schools attended (Individual Education Plan from high school or letter of services used from previous colleges attended) may be helpful but this is not considered proper documentation.
STEP TWO – SCHEDULE AN INTERVIEW
- Once all documentation materials have been received and reviewed, you will need to schedule an interview with the Office of Disability Services Director.
- The interview is designed to discuss: 1) services a student is eligible to receive based upon the documentation submitted, 2) disability-related needs and 3) preparations for attending college
- The student will be given letters to hand deliver to his/her instructors. These letters explain necessary classroom accommodations and do not mention disability. The only time we tell instructors your disability is if it is health related. Seizure disorders would meet this criteria.
All documents submitted are placed in a confidential student file and will not be returned to the applicant nor forwarded to any agency or other college or university. We suggest you submit copies, keeping the original documents for your use at a later time.
It is important to remember that your Application for Services through the Office of Disability Services is separate from the application process to be admitted to the university. McNeese State University is committed to excellence in teaching, research, and creative and scholarly activity. Research shows that students with disabilities who are most successful at the university level have taken a college preparatory curriculum in high school.
SUBMIT FORMS TO
Office of Disability Services, Box 92904, Lake Charles, Louisiana, 70609