Counselor (10 month)
Opportunities Start Here
Department or College - Counseling Services
McNeese State University invites qualified applicants for the position of Counselor (10 month) in the Counseling Center. This is a fulltime, 10-month, unclassified position. The appointment begins as soon as September 1, 2020.
Position Number: U99989
Position Description and Responsibilities
The Counselor will work within the counseling center and will provide mental health services to enrolled students of McNeese State University.
Additionally, the Counselor will:
- Provide individual, couples, family, and group mental health counseling to enrolled students as assigned.
- Work collaboratively with key campus department and community resources as needed. Serve on university committees and work teams as assigned.
- Prepare and deliver presentations/workshops and outreach programming to student and campus community resources as needed.
- Participate in weekly clinical staff meetings and collegial supervision sessions.
- Share 24/7 urgent response capability during academic semesters (fall, spring, summer) for client emergencies as assigned.
- Participate in internal and external professional development activities including membership in relevant state and national professional organizations.
- Properly document all counseling activities using an electronic scheduling and record keeping system (Titanium).
- Adhere to all relevant legal and professional ethics codes.
- Remain informed of up-to-date treatment techniques.
- Follow departmental and university procedures.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as needed/assigned.
- Familiarity with FERPA, HIPAA, confidentiality, duty to warn and related legal and ethical issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Counseling Services.
- Master’s degree in Counseling or related mental health field that is licensed or license-eligible to provide mental health counseling services (e.g. LPC, PLPC, LCSW, etc.).
- Commitment to providing outreach and services to all students on campus including traditionally underrepresented and underserved populations including but not limited to persons identifying as: first generation, low income, persons of color, LGB, transgender and gender non-conforming, veteran.
- Ability to provide learning assessments and obtain appraisal credentialing from appropriate licensing authority.
- At least 2 years of mental health counseling experience serving diverse populations.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until position is filled.
Application Materials and Contact
Applicants should submit: Cover letter, Resume, References (name, phone number, and e-mail address of at least three), and Unofficial Transcripts for the application process.
Please submit the required documents to:
James Grimes, Committee Chair,
Director of Counseling Services
McNeese State University
Lake Charles, LA 70609
McNeese State University, located in Lake Charles, Louisiana, is a public university and a member of the University of Louisiana System. Under Louisiana law, applications and all supporting materials will become public record. All applicants are expected to submit complete and accurate materials as specified in the position announcement. A background check and an English Proficiency assessment will be conducted on selected finalists. We comply with Louisiana Revised Statute 49:1001, et seq, and State of Louisiana Executive Order 98-38, which provides for drug testing of employees, appointees, prospective employees, and prospective appointees. Prospective employees and employees are informed if a drug test is required.
McNeese State University is an AA/EEO/ADA employer committed to excellence through diversity.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires McNeese State University to inform applicants that the University can employ only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. Each new employee is required to present documentation verifying his/her identity and right to accept employment.
Louisiana Revised Statute 42:31-“Eligibility requirements for certain unclassified employees”-requires any person hired or employed in an unclassified position, whose annual salary or rate of compensation is equal to or exceeds one hundred thousand dollars, provide proof to his public employer that he has been issued a Louisiana driver’s license and that all vehicles registered in his name are registered in Louisiana within thirty days of being hired or employed at such salary.
McNeese State University is a member of the University of Louisiana System. Under Louisiana law, applications and all supporting materials will become public record. An executive session pursuant to La. Rev. Stat. 42:6.1(A) may be required. Persons needing reasonable accommodations as provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact the Office of Student Affairs: Voice: (337) 475-5503; TDD/TTY, Hearing Impaired: (337) 562-4227; Fax: (337) 475-5603; or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructional Faculty Candidates with foreign degrees must provide official certification of equivalency to U.S. degrees, an official comprehensive course-by-course report and U.S. Equivalency Statement, from World Education Services. The official Credential Evaluation Report and U.S. Equivalency Statement must be submitted directly to the Office of Academic and Student Affairs, Box 93220, Lake Charles, LA 70609; (337) 475-5508. Simple translation of the language on foreign diplomas, transcripts, coursework, or similar will NOT suffice and will cause the application packet to be judged as incomplete.