Skip to main content

Steps in Applying-Continuing Students

Side Panel

Steps in Applying-Continuing Students

Steps in Applying for Financial Assistance- Continuing Students

  1. Meet enrollment requirements.
    • A student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 hrs) or more during each semester to be considered for most federal financial aid programs. Students enrolled for less than half-time enrollment status will be considered for the Federal Pell and State Go Grant Programs only.
    • Financial aid is initially awarded based on full time enrollment for the fall and spring semesters (half time for the summer semesters) and will be adjusted to your actual enrollment, once enrollment is final for that term.
    • A student must be in a degree seeking or eligible certificate program and taking courses for credit hours applicable towards your degree to be considered for financial assistance. Please view Courses Not Eligible for Federal Assistance for more information.
    • Financial aid may be paid for repeated coursework previously taken in the program but may not include more than one repetition of a previously passed course.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in October of each year to meet the application priority date of May 1, using your (and spouse's) most current federal tax return.
    • Dependent students will need their parent's most current federal tax return and income information.
    • We recommend using the IRS Data Retrieval System to help with this process.
  3. Check your email account that you provided on your FAFSA often and promptly respond to all requests from the MSU Office of Financial Aid.
    • Applications will not be completed until all necessary forms are received.
    • Students should allow the Office of Financial Aid up to six weeks to process and complete his/her financial aid application.
    • Once this process has been completed, students will be emailed an Award notification if he or she is in good academic standing.
    • View our SAP Policy for more details.
  4. Must have received credentials. A student must have earned a high school diploma, GED or completed a State approved homeschool program. For more information regarding student eligibility, please click on Ability to Benefit link.
  5. Transfer students with prior college work should request that their complete official transcript from each college attended be sent directly to the MSU Office of Admissions and Recruiting.
  6. Graduate students must also be enrolled at least half-time (6 hrs) or more in graduate level courses each semester to be considered for graduate level federal student loan awards at the time of disbursement.

Log into your Banner Self Service and then click on the Student & Financial Aid link to monitor your financial aid status.