Skip to main content

Residence Regulations

Residence Regulations

United States Residents

The following conditions are used in determining residence status:

  1. Applicants living with their parents are classified as residents if the parents have established a bona fide residence in Louisiana. Ordinarily, a parent is considered to have established a residence in Louisiana, if he/she actually resides and is employed full time in the state. A parent who is unable to be employed or who is a housewife may be considered to have established a residence in Louisiana if there is convincing evidence that the person continuously resides in Louisiana. If only one parent qualifies as a resident of Louisiana, the student shall be classified as a resident provided that student resides with the parent who is a resident of Louisiana. An individual who resides in Louisiana and is employed full time in another state may be classified as a resident. In such cases, appropriate documentary evidence must be presented.
  2. Students residing with their parents and enrolling as nonresidents are classified as residents if the parents move to Louisiana and acquire residence as defined in these regulations.
  3. Persons may be classified as residents of Louisiana at the end of twelve consecutive months of residence if they have been employed full time in Louisiana and if during that period they have not been registered more than 'half-time' in an educational institution in any semester. Persons who are unable to be employed and who have not been registered in any educational institution for more than six semester hours or its equivalent in any semester may acquire residence in Louisiana if there is convincing evidence that they continuously resided in Louisiana for twelve consecutive months immediately preceding registration.
  4. A student who is married to a Louisiana resident may acquire the residence status of his or her spouse.
  5. Persons who reside in Louisiana for at least two years, exclusive of military service, and who then move to another state or foreign country retain the right to enroll themselves or any dependents as a resident for a period equal to the number of years they resided in Louisiana, but the right shall expire upon the person's residing for a period of two years in another state or foreign country.
  6. Members of the Armed Forces currently stationed in Louisiana and their dependents shall be classified as Louisiana residents. Military personnel stationed in Louisiana immediately prior to release from active duty may enroll themselves or their dependents as residents during a period not to exceed 6 months after the date of release provided that the term of active duty shall have been no less than 12 consecutive months.
  7. Members of the Armed Forces who were residents of Louisiana immediately prior to entering the Armed Forces retain the right for themselves or any dependents to be classified as residents as long as they are in the Armed Forces and for a two-year period after leaving the Armed Forces.
  8. A resident of Louisiana does not lose the right to be classified as a resident during periods of employment in a foreign country.
  9. An alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence as an immigrant (proof of such status shall be possession of Form I- 551-Alien Registration Receipt Card or passport officially stamped 'approved as resident alien') and who has established residence under any of the foregoing provisions shall be declared a resident of the state.
  10. A student may be declared a resident if either parent is a graduate of McNeese. A student who graduates with an associate or higher degree may be classified as a resident for subsequent enrollment at McNeese.

Non-United States Residents

  1. A student who is a non-U.S. citizen may be entitled to resident classification if the student has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (refugee, spouse of a U.S. citizen, 'temporary' or amnesty alien, etc). This granting of resident status for fee purposes shall be in accordance with all applicable laws of the U.S. and relative requirements of the Residence Regulations.
  2. Students and their dependents present in the United States under terms of any one of the following visa classifications who demonstrate a Louisiana domicile for at least one full year (and meet residence regulations) prior to the first day of class of the beginning of the semester will be eligible for an exemption of nonresident fees while holding such a visa:
    1. E visa-Treaty trader or investor
    2. G visa-Representative of international organization
    3. H-1B visa-Temporary worker in a specialty occupation (H-4 dependents may also apply to qualify for exemption.)
    4. I visa-Foreign information media representative
    5. K visa-Fiance' (Residency approved with proof of marriage to U.S. citizen.)
    6. L visa-Intra-company transferee/foreign employer
  3. Students holding an A visa (government officials) will be immediately eligible for an exemption of the non-resident fees while holding such a visa.
  4. Students holding the following visa classifications are not eligible to establish Louisiana domicile nor be exempted from non-resident fees unless otherwise permitted by law, by system policy, or other regulations:
    1. B visa-Visitor for business/pleasure
    2. C visa-In transit
    3. D visa-Crewman
    4. F visa-Academic student
    5. H visa-Temporary worker (other than H1B)
    6. J visa-Exchange visitor
    7. M visa-Vocational/non-academic student
  5. The domicile of a dependent or an unmarried minor is regarded to be that of the parent with whom such a dependent or minor maintains his/her place of abode.

Residence Regulation Appeals

Any student who feels that he or she has been incorrectly classified as a non-resident may appeal that classification to the Assistant Director of Admissions. Residency forms are available on the online. If the appeal is denied, the student can then appeal to the Residency Appeals Committee.

Incorrect Classification

All students classified incorrectly as residents are subject to reclassification and payment of all nonresident fees not paid. If incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts by the student, the student is subject to University discipline.