Prohibited Purchases under the Student Technology Assessment:
(These are items which may not, under any circumstances, be purchased through the Student Technology Assessment funds).
- Equipment and supplies not accessible for general student use, especially purchase of administrative equipment
- General office supplies and furniture
- Personnel recruiting expenses
- Travel (including vehicle rental)
The outlook of the student body in the use of the technology assessment is to enhance student life and learning by implementing three focus areas:
- Student Computer Laboratories
- Network Access and Electronic Services
- Instructional Technology and Curriculum Support
Focus areas are simply guidelines to follow in developing a technological atmosphere on campus. As new technologies are realized, it is understood that these focus areas will evolve to meet the needs of the students.
Focus Area 1 - Student Computing Laboratories
- Upgrade on at least a three-year recurring basis to state-of-the-art hardware and equipment in all open-access laboratories.
- Add an additional open-access computing lab in the pool hall room of the Old Ranch. This computing lab is to be open for extended operating hours or 24-hours daily.
- Possibly add additional open-access laboratories (e.g. in the dormitory area).
- Provide computer equipment in open-access laboratories in compliance with the American Disabilities Act.
- Expand general and technical staffing in all open-access laboratories with a possible 24-hour lab.
- Provide and maintain the latest versions of campus-wide standard software for open-access labs and for departmental labs.
- Provide virus protection for both open-access and departmental labs.
- Provide the latest operating systems for open-access and departmental labs.
- Provide connectivity software for both open-access and departmental labs.
- Develop a plan (e.g. on a prioritized rotating semester basis) for subsidizing, supporting and servicing departmental labs with hardware and software upgrades.
- Colleges requesting equipment will submit annual proposals to the dean of Information and Technology for specific improvements to the college. Student initiative and/or participation in the proposal process is required.
Focus Area 2 - Network Access and Electronic Services
- Provide all full-time students with free Internet access.
- Improve remote access to the network services from off campus and dormitory rooms by adding and upgrading modems and phone lines.
- Completing of the basic fiber optic backbone for networking the campus academic buildings including the student union, dormitories, and the library.
- Development of a campus wide Intranet to provide custom student services via the network and web including on-line student registration, financial aid applications, and campus-area vendor services.
- Integration of the campus-wide network and the telephone system including upgrading of telephone services to include call waiting, caller-ID, voice-mail, and fax.
- Provide central management and operation of servers and clusters for the campus-wide network.
- Implement software solutions to provide the campus with increased automated support capabilities.
Focus Area 3 - Instructional Technology and Curriculum Support
- Enhance and update computer-assisted instruction for all open labs especially in core areas of study.
- Assist colleges and departments in developing learning studios for computer-based classrooms. Studios could include technological capabilities such as shared document revision- "whiteboard" interaction- desktop teleconferencing; and video and e-mail communication.
- Enhance classroom presentations with additional multi-media equipment, and data visualization tools.
- Promote distance learning with the latest video-conferencing equipment.
- Provide students with on-line access to library resources, and library databases.
- Support audio, video, multimedia and courseware development production, and deployment.
- Develop technology-supported programs for student-faculty interaction, student study group work; student leadership development; and mentoring programs.