Dr. Matthew A. Butkus
Office: 210-A Kaufman Hall
Dr. Butkus earned undergraduate degrees from Georgetown University (German and Philosophy) and the University of Pittsburgh (Psychology). He earned his MA (Philosophy) and PhD (Health Care Ethics) from Duquesne University, writing on the impact of depressive disorders on the decision to forgo medical treatment. Prior to coming to McNeese in 2008, he worked clinically in behavioral health and with the CRISMA Research Group in the Dept. of Critical Care Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, in addition to teaching graduate courses in health science and research methodology.
He currently teaches classroom and online courses in philosophy (Introduction to Philosophy), applied ethics (Biomedical Ethics and Decision-Making, Ethics in the Sciences, Ethics, Laws and Ethics Applied to Organizations) as well as consortium classes for the McNeese in London Program (Applied Ethics in Global Society, Business Ethics) and the College of Nursing (Healthcare Regulation and Law). He has published work in critical care medicine, pop culture and philosophy, and issues at the intersection of behavioral health and ethics. In the Fall of 2014, he was awarded the JP Morgan Chase Endowed Professorship to integrate existing and new knowledge in the fields of cognitive psychology and neuroscience into philosophical and medical models of patient autonomy. The award has been extended through December 2016.
- Butkus, Matthew A. “Roland of Gilead.” Stephen King and Philosophy (accepted; forthcoming).
- Butkus, Matthew A. "All Health is Local: Biodiversity, Ethics, and Human Health." Ethics, Policy & Environment, 18(1), April 2015, 18(1): 1-15.
- Butkus, Matthew A. "Free Will and Autonomous Medical Decision-Making." Journal of Cognition and Neuroethics, March 2015, 3(1): 75-119.
- Butkus, Matthew A. "Public Health Approaches to Firearms." Guns and Contemporary Society: The Past, Present, and Future of Firearms and Firearm Policy. Praeger Publishers, December 2015.
- Butkus, Matthew A."Breaking Health Care." The Methods of Breaking Bad: Essays on Narrative, Character and Ethics. McFarland Publishing, 2015.
- Butkus, Matthew A. "Compassionate Deception: Lying to Patients with Dementia." Philosophical Practice, July 2014, 9(2), p. 1388-1396.
- Butkus, Matthew A., Mutchler, Matthew S. "Clinical and Ethical Conflicts in Diagnosing and Treating Behavioral Problems in Children." Philosophical Practice, March 2012, 7(1), p. 925-937.
- Butkus, Matthew A. "A Universe of Bastards." Dune and Philosophy. Open Court Press, April 2011.
- Butkus, Matthew A., Kellum, John A. "Metabolic Disorders: Classifying Metabolic Acidoses." Oxford Desk Reference: Critical Care. Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Butkus, Matthew A., Madden, Nicholas J., Kellum, John A. "Metabolic Disorders: Metabolic Alkalosis." Oxford Desk Reference: Critical Care. Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Butkus, Matthew A., Murugan, Raghavan, Madden, Nicholas, Kellum, John A. "Disorders of Chronic Metabolic Alkalosis." Critical Care Nephrology (2nd Edition). Elsevier, 2008.
- Peng, Zhiyong, Butkus, Matthew A., Kannan, Neeta, Kellum, John A. "Genetic Variation and Critical Illness." Critical Care Nephrology (2nd Edition). Elsevier, 2008.
- Madden, Nicholas, Murugan, Raghavan, Butkus, Matthew A., Kellum, John A. "Acute Metabolic Alkalosis." Critical Care Nephrology (2nd Edition). Elsevier, 2008.