The symposium supports a student's inquiry, investigation, or experimentation into a topic that will make an original, intellectual, or creative contribution to his/her field of study. This program requires an educational collaboration and strong partnership between the student and a faculty mentor. This year's symposium has two sections: (1) a local program open to ALL undergraduate students where students may present their research projects in a 3'x4' poster format, and (2) an awards program for students wishing to compete to attend the University of Louisiana System (ULS) Academic Summit at the University of Louisiana at Monroe. Please note: A maximum of 30 projects will be accepted for this awards program, and acceptance is "first come, first served."
Awards from the McNeese Alumni Association for the ULS Academic Summit Competitors$300.00 Awarded to projects (maximum: 10 projects) selected for presentation at the ULS Academic Summit in April 2013a,b
$150.00 Awarded to faculty mentors of projects selected for presentation at the ULS Academic Summit in April 2013b
a Participation is limited to two projects per mentor and one project per student. No more than two students may work on a single project.
b Should there be two students or faculty mentors working on one project, then the cash award will be divided equally among those students or faculty mentors.
- August 31, 2012 - ALL faculty mentors planning to participate in either section of the USRS must submit a notice of intent (NOI). NOI submission instructions will be sent out through e-mail.
- September 27, 2012 (12:00-1:00 p.m.) - Informational luncheon for faculty mentors participating in the ULS Academic Summit selection process hosted by McNeese Alumni Association.
- October 19, 2012 - ALL faculty mentors participating in either section of the USRS must submit a completed USRS Project Information form (one form submission for each project). The link to this form will be emailed to faculty mentors no less than one week prior to this deadline.
- March 4, 2013 - ALL students set up poster presentations (location and time TBD).
- March 5, 2013 - ALL posters open to the public (location and time TBD); Posters competing in the Academic Summit selection process are judged in the Alumni Center (time TBD).
- March 6, 2013 - Students participating in the ULS Academic Summit competition will be recognized by the McNeese Alumni Association.
- April 12-13, 2013 - ULS Academic Summit will be held at University of Louisiana at Monroe. Lodging, meals and meeting registration will be provided for selected students and mentors; University transportation (two-day travel) provided for students and their faculty mentors.
- Students participating in the USRS are expected to dress professionally.
- Students involved in the USRS will be excused from class.
- Projects competing to present at the ULS Academic Summit are subject to disqualification based on poor scholarly presentation.
- Faculty Mentors are expected to be present with their students who are competing in the ULS Academic Summit selection process during the designated judging period.