Skip to main content

Withdrawing from Courses

Withdrawing from Courses

During the official registration periods, you may add/drop classes on the web through Banner Self-Service or in your academic department. After the last day of late registration and through the last day to withdraw from a course, a student can withdraw from a course by completing a Course Withdrawal Form with his/her advisor and submitting the completed form to the Office of the Registrar. The student will then be withdrawn from the course, and a grade of 'WZ' will be assigned. A student who is unable to come to campus to complete this process should contact his/her academic advisor for assistance.

To withdraw from classes once late registration ends, you must:

  1. Meet with your advisor or academic department head and complete a Course Withdrawal Form.
  2. Turn in the form to the Registrar's Office by the date specified on the university calendar. You will be withdrawn from all courses listed on the form.
  3. Retain the receipt for your records. If the change does not appear on your records, contact the Registrar's Office immediately at 337-475-5158.

If you must withdraw from all classes, you are in effect resigning from the university. A student who officially resigns from the university prior to a designated date will receive a grade of 'W' in all courses; however, if a student previously withdrew from any courses, the assigned grade of 'WZ' will not be replaced with a grade of 'W'.
To resign, you must:

  1. Complete a resignation form at the Registrar's Office.
  2. The Registrar's Office will withdraw you from all classes in which you are enrolled. You will receive a "W" for all courses resigned from after late registration. 
  3. Retain the receipt for your records. If the change does not appear on your records, contact the Registrar's Office immediately at 337-475-5158.

The deadline for withdrawing from a course or resigning from the University is approximately 75 percent into the semester or summer session. After this date, a student may not withdraw from a course or resign from the University. In extraordinary cases, a student may appeal to his/her academic dean to withdraw from a course or resign after the published deadline, but before final exams begin. Any approved requests must be submitted by the dean to the Registrar's Office prior to the beginning of final exams.

Please see the online catalog for course withdrawal limits and fees associated with excessive withdrawals as well as fees associated with instructor assignment of “WN” grades.

Withdrawal Table
Withdrawing from classes or resigning from the university may have a negative impact on your status, if you are: To determine how withdrawing from classes will affect you, contact the following official or office prior to withdrawing or resigning:
a student athlete the academic counselor for student athletes
an international student on an F-1 visa the international student affairs officer
a student receiving veterans benefits the veterans certifying official
a student receiving TOPS, a non-resident fee waiver, or a scholarship the Scholarships & Testing Office
the Financial Aid Office