McNeese State University recognizes the value of information provided by students, employees, and others in assessing the Institution’s performance. This Policy for Review of Complaints is for the purpose of addressing significant violation of the institution’s standards, policies, and procedures and is not a forum for addressing grievances. The University has established grievance procedures for students and employees and expects individuals to attempt to resolve grievance issues through procedures established according to the situation.
Complaints must be submitted in writing by the complainant and addressed directly to the appropriate vice president at McNeese State University. The University will not entertain complaints that are not in writing or which are anonymous. The University will not act on complaints submitted on behalf of another individual or complaints forwarded to the University.
Procedures for Filing a Complaint
In general, the University will acknowledge a written complaint within 20 business days or a reasonable period after its receipt by the appropriate vice president. Complaints should be addressed to the appropriate vice president responsible for the issue at hand (academic affairs, business affairs, administration and student affairs, special services and equity, development and public affairs).
For a timely review by staff, the complainant is responsible for including the following in the written complaint:
- A statement describing the complaint in the clearest possible terms. If the situation describes a grievance issue rather than a complaint, appropriate grievance procedures will be advised.
- A clear and concise written description of the evidence upon which the complaint is based (materials and documentation used to support a complainant’s allegations should be limited to and directly related to the reported case). The evidence should state relevant and provable facts.
- A description of any action that may have already been taken in an attempt to resolve the issue.
- An acknowledgment that University staff may send a copy of the complaint to the person(s) involved.
- Complainant’s signature.
- Complainant must provide adequate documentation.
Within 30 business days after acknowledging receipt of the complaint and under the direction of the appropriate vice president, McNeese State University personnel will review the complaint and its documentation and determine whether it is within the scope of University policies and jurisdiction and if there is adequate documentation. McNeese will inform the complainant regarding the disposition of the complaint to include one of the following:
- The complaint will not be processed further. The complaint is not within the scope of University policies and jurisdiction or there is inadequate documentation to raise questions concerning the complaint.
- The complaint has sufficient substance to warrant further review. McNeese will make every effort to expedite the review; however, the time required to conduct the review may vary considerably depending on the circumstances and nature of the complaint. The complainant will be notified regarding one of the following:
- The complaint is without merit.
- A resolution will be suggested.
The report of the appropriate vice president will be forwarded to the President for review. Following that meeting, the complainant will be notified of the decision.