McNeese State University is committed to providing an environment for its faculty, staff, and students which is safe, secure, and respectful - an environment that is free from violence. Consequently, no form of intimidating, hostile, threatening, or violent behavior will be tolerated. This policy applies to all McNeese State University students, faculty, staff, contracted employees, and campus visitors.
MCNEESE STATE UNIVERSITY PROHIBITS THE FOLLOWING:
- Any act or threat of violence, including, but not limited to intimidation, harassment, or coercion.
- Any act or threat of violence or harassment which endangers the safety of another person.
- Any act or threat of violence or harassment made directly or indirectly by words, gestures, or symbols.
- Any act or threat of action that compromises the university's capacity to maintain a campus culture that promotes safety and security for students, faculty, administration, employees and guests.
In accordance with this policy, any behavior that compromises the University's ability to maintain a safe environment is to be reported to the appropriate university official. All reports will be investigated immediately and kept confidential, except where there is a legitimate need to know.
To meet our commitment to provide a safe environment for employees, customers, and visitors, the University has created a violence prevention team to develop and implement a campus violence prevention program. The team is comprised of representatives from organizational divisions of the university.
The University believes that the campus community may be better prepared to avoid or prevent violence if it recognizes early warning signs in advance and follows response procedures.
In cases of direct or imminent physical threat to individuals or property, immediately contact the University Police at 5711, 111, or 911. Faculty and staff should then also report the incident to the immediate supervisor or department head.
When the behavior does not constitute a direct or imminent physical threat, contact should be made promptly as follows:
- Faculty and Staff: The immediate supervisor, department head, or dean.
- Students: The Dean of Students.
- Others: University Police
Employees and students who act in good faith by reporting actual or suspected violations of this policy will not be retaliated against or subjected to harassment.
The appropriate university official will investigate the incident, request written statements, and report to the Campus Violence Prevention Team.
The team will take appropriate action in accordance with university policy.