How Can Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Help?Applied Behavior Analysis has been endorsed by the U.S. Surgeon General, the National Institute of Health, the New York State Department of Mental Health, and many other states, including Louisiana, as an effective evidence-based treatment for Autism and many other pervasive developmental disorders.
A qualified professional, a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) should be contacted when seeking ABA Services. Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBA's) working in the field of autism intervention conduct skills assessments, functional assessments and functional analysis to tailor an intervention plan to meet the needs of an individual client. Skills assessments assist in pinpointing areas in which a client may have skill deficits so that instructional strategies can be developed to teach those skills. Functional assessments and analysis assist in determining why problematic behaviors are occurring so that behavior reduction strategies can be implemented specific to the problem behavior. To find a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, visit the certificant registry of the Behavior Analyst Certification Board website. For guidelines in selecting a BCBA to direct an intervention for persons with Autism visit the Behavior Analyst Certification Board website.
Beware of frauds, there is currently no "cure" for autism and refrain from using therapies that offer no research evidence. The Association for Science in Autism Treatment (ASAT) provides a review of the available research evidence for autism treatments.
Additional helpful resource links
- Audio Interview with Dr.Ronald Leaf regarding effective treatment for autism
- Special Interest Group (SIG) of The Association of Behavior Analysis International
- McNeese Autism Program (MAP)
- Families for Early Autism Treatment (FEAT)
- Journal for Early and Intensive Behavioral Intervention
- Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies
- Association for Science in Autism Treatment
- Autism SIG and the Parent Professional Partnership SIG