Purpose & Mission
McNeese State University is primarily a teaching institution whose mission is successful education of the undergraduate students and services to the employers and communities in its region. McNeese uses a traditional admissions process based on courses completed, GPA, and standardized test scores.
McNeese is responsible for serving:
- Residents of southwest Louisiana who have completed high school and are seeking either a college degree or continuing professional education;
- Two-year college transfer students, particularly those from Sowela Technical Community College;
- Employers in the region, both public and private, school districts, health care providers, local governments, and private businesses;
- Economic development interests and regional entrepreneurs; and
- The area community, by providing a broad range of academic and cultural activities and public events.
Array of Programs and Services
- An array of liberal arts programs at the baccalaureate level - arts and humanities, social sciences, natural sciences - appropriate to a teaching institution with a predominately undergraduate student body.
- Baccalaureate programs in education, engineering, business, nursing, selected allied health fields, mass communication, and criminal justice.
- Masters programs primarily related to education, engineering, arts and sciences, nursing, and business.
- Support for area K-12 schools seeking college general education courses for advanced students and assistance in ensuring that their graduates are college- and career-ready.
- Services specifically designed to meet the needs of regional economic development (small business development, support for entrepreneurs, problem-solving)
a.Programs in innovation, entrepreneurship, and small business development supported by the Southwest Entrepreneurial and Economic Development Center.
- Agricultural and related sciences with opportunities for experiential learning at three working farms and the Center for Advancement of Meat Processing and Production.
- Custom academic programs and professional certifications integrated with area business and industry.
- Applied undergraduate research partnerships in engineering, sciences, allied health and the Louisiana Environmental Research Center.
- Cultural events are designed to connect McNeese with the regional arts community and K-12 education.
Adopted by McNeese State University - 8/16/12
Approved by the Board of Supervisors of the University of Louisiana System - 10/23/12