What is CPT:
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) provides F-1 students with the option of practical training during their program of study, with the choice of either full-time or part-time employment.
Guidelines for CPT:
- CPT must relate to your major, and the work experience should be part of your program of study (tied to a course at Mcneese).
- To qualify for CPT, you must have studied as an F-1 student for at least one academic year.
- If you have 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you are not eligible to apply for OPT.
- Part-time CPT and fewer than 12 months of full-time CPT authorization does not affect your OPT eligibility.
Note: Graduate students may qualify for CPT during their first semester, should their program require this.
How to Apply for CPT:
To apply for CPT you will need to come to the our office and bring the following items:
- Signed letter from your academic advisor stating how the training is part of your program of study, printed on McNeese letterhead.
- Signed letter of employment from the employer sponsoring your CPT
- Where you will work
- How much you'll be paid
- How many hours you will work
- Dates you will work
- Who will supervise you
The International Student Advisor or other DSO in our office will determine your elegibilty for CPT and athorize your employment in SEVIS.