Office of Career Services
The Graduate Assistant in the Office of Career Services is a one-semester part-time student position. All student employees are hired on a semester basis.
- Advise and educate students about career issues via one-on-one consultations and small group workshops.
- Coach students on effective job search strategies (i.e., resume writing, interviewing, networking, attire).
- Present career and employment information to individuals, small groups, and large groups.
- Consult with students about career assessment resources available to them; may administer assessments (if eligible based on education, credentials, and degree program of study) under appropriate supervision.
- Assist in the identification, management, and maintenance of departmental website content.
- Utilize technology (MS Office; personal computer; web publishing; a/v equipment; document imaging).
- Provide administrative office support (answer phones, respond to inquiries, greet and host guests, schedule appointments, file documents, deliver items, assist with special events and activities).
- Bachelor’s degree in any field required; preference given to persons with a degree offered at McNeese.
- One to two years of experience in roles where strong customer service skills and a positive, collaborative interpersonal manner required.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills required. A writing sample and/or live demonstration of presentation skills may be required.
- Admission and enrollment in a graduate degree program at McNeese required; preference may be given to students in business, education, psychology or related fields of study.
- Technology skills appropriate to responsibilities noted above.
Salary: $10 per hour, maximum 20 hours per week; maximum 15 weeks per term.
Employment Dates: August 25, 2014 to December 12, 2014
Application Materials and Contact: To apply submit a letter of application, resume, unofficial undergraduate/graduate transcript(s), and the names, relationship and contact information (telephone and email addresses included) of three references to:
Dr. Toby Osburn, Associate Vice President for University Services
Lake Charles, Louisiana 70609
McNeese State University, located in Lake Charles, Louisiana, is a public university and a member of the University of Louisiana System. Under Louisiana law, applications and all supporting materials will become public record. All applicants are expected to submit complete and accurate materials as specified in the position announcement. A background check and an English Proficiency assessment will be conducted on selected finalists. We comply with Louisiana Revised Statute 49:1001, et seq, and State of Louisiana Executive Order 98-38, which provides for drug testing of employees, appointees, prospective employees, and prospective appointees. Prospective employees and employees are informed if a drug test is required.
McNeese State University is an AA/EEO/ADA employer committed to excellence through diversity.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires McNeese State University to inform applicants that the University can employ only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. Each new employee is required to present documentation verifying his/her identity and right to accept employment.
McNeese State University is a member of the University of Louisiana System. Under Louisiana law, applications and all supporting materials will become public record. An executive session pursuant to La. Rev. Stat. 42:6.1(A) may be required.
Persons needing reasonable accommodations as provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact the Equal Opportunity Office: Voice: (337) 475-5428; TDD/TTY, Hearing Impaired: (337) 562-4227; Fax: (337) 475-5960; or email@example.com.