Graduate Assistant/Assistant Facility Manger - Student Union & Activities
Holbrook Student Union and Activities
Professional and Educational Value
This Graduate Assistant will work as an additional professional for the Holbrook Student Union & Activities Office. The Student Union & Activities Office enhances the educational mission of the University through engaging students in co-curricular programs and activities that promote development in the areas of leadership, professionalism, cultural awareness, (community) service learning, morality, fiscal awareness, social ability, and recreation. The department also provides management and oversight of the Holbrook Student Union Complex’s leisure, meeting, and special event areas, ensuring that these locations are well maintained and efficiently utilized to meet the needs of McNeese students.
Expectation of Time
Position begins as soon as August 6, 2018 and no later than August 20, 2018
- One-half tuition scholarship
- $11.11/ per hour, 20-29 hours per week for 16 semester weeks (in fall and spring); 6 summer term weeks
- $400 per semester supplemental scholarship ($200 for summer session)
- Full out-of-state fee waiver for non-Louisiana residents
- A one academic year commitment is required
- Assist with the day-to-day management of Holbrook Student Union venues and equipment
- Assist the office’s administrative assistant with managing online venue reservation requests, communications, and associated requirements
- Conduct pre-use walkthroughs with groups that utilize Holbrook Student Union venues
- Assist with the supervision of student attendants
- Review facility daily logs and venue inspections to determine ways to address issues that may arise
- Complete routine inspections of student union venues and inventory of equipment
- Attend to night/weekend programs and activities within student union facilities as assigned.
- Determine needs for facility improvements and effectively communicate them
- In coordination with other Student Union & Activities Office Graduate Assistants, helps plan and manage programs conducted by the Student Union & Activities Office
- Compile assessment data for usage of student union venues.
- Perform clerical office duties as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have obtained a bachelor’s degree by the end of the summer 2018 semester
- Must be able to adequately fulfill all of the job duties and responsibilities
- Must be able to work nights/weekends as assigned
- Previous experience and leadership in a collegiate student organization or equivalent affiliation
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Must have good interpersonal skills
- At least a 2.25 cumulative undergraduate GPA
- Must be able to communicate in English fluently
- Management experience
- An understanding of student activities/student life and its impact in a campus community
- Experience creating and evaluating assessment data
McNeese State University, located in Lake Charles, Louisiana, is a public university and a member of the University of Louisiana System. Under Louisiana law, applications and all supporting materials will become public record. All applicants are expected to submit complete and accurate materials as specified in the position announcement. A background check and an English Proficiency assessment will be conducted on selected finalists. We comply with Louisiana Revised Statute 49:1001, et seq, and State of Louisiana Executive Order 98-38, which provides for drug testing of employees, appointees, prospective employees, and prospective appointees. Prospective employees and employees are informed if a drug test is required.
McNeese State University is an AA/EEO/ADA employer committed to excellence through diversity.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires McNeese State University to inform applicants that the University can employ only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. Each new employee is required to present documentation verifying his/her identity and right to accept employment.
McNeese State University is a member of the University of Louisiana System. Under Louisiana law, applications and all supporting materials will become public record. An executive session pursuant to La. Rev. Stat. 42:6.1(A) may be required.
Persons needing reasonable accommodations as provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact the Equal Opportunity Office: Voice: (337) 475-5428; TDD/TTY, Hearing Impaired: (337) 562-4227; Fax: (337) 475-5960; or firstname.lastname@example.org.