CLASSIFIED AND UNCLASSIFIED
- Notify the supervisor of the intent to separate employment, from the department or the university, through written statement as soon as possible. Faculty members should notify the Department Head prior to the end of the academic semester or year. Staff members are encouraged to give at least two weeks notice.
- An employee may request annual and/or compensatory leave prior to separation in an amount not to exceed the amount accrued in a calendar year. *Follow all normal requirements for application of leave as stated in leave policies.*
- An employee may not begin any other employment while in paid leave status with the university to remain in accordance with the Louisiana Code of Governmental Ethics.
- Schedule an exit interview with Human Resources.
- Download the voluntary Exit Interview Questionnaire from the Human Resources website. Complete and return to Human Resources.
- The last paycheck will not be direct deposited. Human Resources will make arrangements with the employee for final wage payments.
ALL EMPLOYEES MUST PROPERLY EXIT FROM THE UNIVERSITY TO ENSURE PROPER PAYMENT OF FINAL WAGES.
- Secure a written statement from the employee with the reason for voluntary separation from the department or the university, and the effective date of separation to include the last working day. No written statement from the employee is necessary when a temporary assignment is ended.
- When reviewing an employee's leave request to use leave prior to separation, consider the budgetary impact, all applicable policies and laws, and the status of the position before approving these requests.
- Sign and date the written statement on the date received. Process the written statement immediately.
- Download and complete a Separation Notice. Attach the original copy of the written statement to the Separation Notice and forward through the proper chain of command with final approval and signature by the Division Head. A Separation Notice must be completed by the supervisor when a temporary appointment is ended.
- An original copy of the Separation Notice is submitted to the President's Office for faculty and unclassified employees.
- An original copy of the Separation Notice is submitted to Human Resources for classified employees.
- The Office of Human Resources retains a copy of all Separation Notices for all faculty, classified, and unclassified employees.
- Download and complete an Exit Checkout Form.
- If the employee is classified, conduct a Closeout Rating or a Final Rating as per the MSU Performance Planning and Review Policy and Procedures. Submit the original Closeout Rating to Human Resources.
- Ensure that the employee contacts Human Resources for an Exit Interview.
- Ensure the final timesheet is completed and submitted to Payroll for proper leave payout, if applicable.
- Return the original Exit Checkout Form prior to the release of the final paycheck, in person to Human Resources in Smith Hall, or by fax to x5104, or by mail to Box 91615.
McNeese State University does not discriminate with regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, disability, veteran status, age, or sex in admission to or employment in its education programs or activities. Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations or equal opportunity may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator and Equal Opportunity Officer: Chief Diversity Officer, Box 93248, McNeese State University, Lake Charles, Louisiana 70609. Telephone: voice (337) 475-5428; hearing impaired TDD/TTY (337) 562-4227.