Phi Alpha Theta is an American honor society for undergraduate and graduate students and professors of History. The society is dedicated to the promotion of the study of History
through the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication and the exchange of learning and ideas among historians. - See more at: http://phialphatheta.org/missionstatement#sthash.cVBDETdT.dpuf
through the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication and the exchange of learning and ideas among historians. - See more at: http://phialphatheta.org/missionstatement#sthash.cVBDETdT.dpufthrough the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication, and the exchange of learning and ideas among historians. The basic requirement for membership is at least 12 hours of History credits with a 3.1 or higher GPA in history and a 3.0 or higher overall GPA. Membership is not limited to History majors.
Benefits of Phi Alpha Theta Membership
- Provides evidence of academic accomplishments and scholastic efforts on a resume or C.V.
- Eligibility for Phi Alpha Theta scholarships and awards program. (Visit the website and click on "Prizes and Awards.")
- A one-year subscription to The Historian, a quarterly History journal.
- Name printed in The Historian as a member of the society.
- The opportunity to present papers at the regional meeting of Phi Alpha, held in conjunction with the Louisiana Historical Association annual meeting in March each year. (For more information, lahistory.org Annual Meeting tab.)
- Honor cords, apparel, and jewelry available for purchase via the Phi Alpha Theta online store at www. phialphatheta.org.
Lifetime membership is $40. The McNeese History Department may have available funds to pay this fee for eligible students. The membership application is available online at http://www.phialphatheta.org/data/memappform.pdf. Submit the application to Dr. Janet Allured at the campus address below or via email.
If you have questions, please contact Dr. Janet Allured Phi Alpha Theta Faculty Advisor.
Mail: Department of History, Box 92860, McNeese State University, Lake Charles, LA 70609
In person office visit: Kaufman Hall 209-G, ext. 5304.