The Department of History provides education to prepare graduates for a wide variety of careers (in education, government, law, research) requiring critical thinking, analysis, and strong research skills that will enable them to become productive and ethically responsible citizens in a multicultural global community and value lifelong learning.
The Department of History offers the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in History (for history majors and future social studies teachers)
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies (a broader range of courses in the humanities)
- To broaden students' knowledge of the past and to enhance their understanding of the the present.
- To prepare history majors for the Bachelor of Arts degree.
- To provide a minor in history for students who major in another curriculum.
- To introduce students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Liberal Studies to key concepts in the Humanities and Liberal Arts.
- To train Social Studies teachers for middle schools and high schools in Louisiana.
- To prepare exceptionally able students for graduate study.
Our dedicated and talented faculty specialize in the following fields:
American history: Louisiana History, Old and New South, American Women's History, History of American Sexuality, Civil War, Military History, Colonial and Revolutionary America, African-American History, American Indian, and Modern U.S.
Western Civilization and World History: Latin America, Eastern and Western Europe, Slavery, the Caribbean, and the British Empire.