Admission RequirementsIn addition to the general requirements for admission to Graduate School, applications for admission to the Master of Engineering in Engineering program must meet the following requirements.
RegularAn applicant may be admitted on regular status if:
- He/She has a baccalaureate degree from a nationally accredited institution or an institution under the jurisdiction of the University of Louisiana System, and
- He/She has earned an overall average of at least 3.0 ("B" based on a 0-4.0 quality point scale) on all undergraduate work (including courses repeated and all courses counted toward the student's baccalaureate degree) as indicated by transcripts.
Even though admitted as a regular graduate student, the applicant may be required to take additional undergraduate courses if he/she lacks any of the prerequisites to his/her program of graduate studies.
ConditionalAn applicant who holds a baccalaureate degree from a nationally accredited institution or an institution under the jurisdiction of the University of Louisiana System but does not meet quality point requirements for a regular status may be granted conditional status if he/she has earned at least a 2.5 grade point average out of a possible 4.0 on all undergraduate work. An applicant with less than a 2.5 average must take additional undergraduate courses to meet the requirement.
Removal of Conditional StatusThe removal of conditional status and continuance in the Graduate School are determined by the quality point average achieved by the student at the close of the semester or summer session during which he/she completes his/her first 12 semester hours of graduate work at McNeese University. Regular status is granted automatically to the student if, at this time, his/her cumulative quality point average is 3.0 or better and includes no more than one course with a grade of C. A student on conditional status who fails to qualify for regular status upon completing 12 semester hours will be suspended.
Graduate Record ExaminationAll students must submit their GRE scores at the time of the application for admission. Minimum GRE score (verbal + quantitative) for admitted students is 300
English Language Requirements for International Graduate StudentsAll international students from non-English speaking countries who do not have a baccalaureate degree from U.S. universities will demonstrate English language proficiency at the time of application by one of the following:
- Minimum TOEFL score of 75 on the Internet-based exam (www.ets.org/toefl);
- Minimum IELTS* band score of 6.0 (www.ielts.org); or
- Completion of the advanced level of the ESLI University Language Center program (located on the McNeese campus).
The number of full-time students admitted each semester will vary depending on the facilities available and the academic capacity of the department.
Concentration Specific InformationAdditional information for each engineering concentration can be found by clicking the links below:
- Master of Engineering - Chemical Engineering Concentration
- Master of Engineering - Civil Engineering Concentration
- Master of Engineering - Electrical Engineering Concentration
- Master of Engineering - Engineering Management Concentration
- Master of Engineering - Mechanical Engineering Concentration