M.A., Ph.D., Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Germany
Farrar Hall, 210
- College of Liberal Arts Technology Committee (COLA), Departmental Representative
- Member, MSU Withdrawal Appeals Committee
- Webmaster, Department of English and Foreign Languages
- Editor, Newsletter, Department of English and Foreign Languages
- Local Press Liaison, Department of English and Foreign Languages
Teaching and Research Interests
- Literature and culture of the "long" eighteenth century
- Interactions between science (-s) and the literary imagination
- Literary translation
- Collective identities expressed in and through literature
- New Zealand and Australian literature and culture
Editorial Service to Academic Journals
- Field Editor for British Literature, Australia, New Zealand, ECCB: The Eighteenth-Century Current Bibliography (http://www.eccb.net)
- Member, South-Central Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (SCSECS)
- Member, Southern Comparative Literature Association (SCLA)
- Member, South Central Modern Language Association (SCMLA)
- Member, Southeast Asia Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (SASECS)
- Editor, Celebrity: The Idiom of a Modern Era, New York: AMS Press (in press).
- Editor, Special Journal Feature: "Rakes, Male and Female, in the Literatures of the Eighteenth Century." (Introduction and 5 Essays). 1650-1850: Ideas, Aesthetics, and Inquiries in the Early Modern Era 11 (2005):175-299.
- Figurenrede als Ubersetzungsproblem: Untersucht am Romanwerk von Charles Dickens und ausgewahlten deutschen Ubersetzungen [Direct Speech and Novel Translation: Charles Dickens's Characters in German Translations] (Neue Studien zur Anglistik und Amerikanistik 58, ed. W. Erzgraeber and P. Goetsch) Frankfurt/M.: Peter Lang, 1992.
"Cook's Ark: Animals on the Move in the Service of Empires," When Motion Mattered: Essays on the Moving Eighteenth Century, edited by Kevin L. Cope (New York: AMS Press, forthcoming 2014).
- "Floating Communities: Ships and Sociability," Sociability in Great Britain and in France in the Enlightenment: Forms, Functions and Operational Modes, edited by Allan Ingram, Annick Cossic, and Norbert Col (Brest: Editions Le Manuscrit, coll. Transversales 4, forthcoming 2014).
- "'Teach me to Hear the Mermaids Singing': Fishy Tales From the Long Eighteenth Century." The Sea in the Enlightenment, ed. Serge Soupel. New York: AMS Press (forthcoming).
- "The Futurity of Fame: Eighteenth-Century Paths to Immortality," Great Expectations: Futurity in the Long Eighteenth Century, edited by Jürgen Klein and Mascha Hansen (Frankfurt/M.: Lang, 2012), 107-129.
- "Night-Skies Enlightened: Fireworks as Art, Science, Recreation, and Collective Symbol." The Enlightenment by Night: Essays on After-Dark Culture in the Long Eighteenth Century, eds. Kevin L. Cope, Alex Pettit, and Serge Soupel. New York: AMS Press, 2010. 29-88.
- "Historical Trauma, lieu de mémoire, Source of Collective Renewal: Parihaka in the Poetic Imagination of Aotearoa New Zealand." Shared Waters: Soundings in Postcolonial Literature. (Cross/Cultures 118). Ed. Stella Borg Barthet. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2009. 83-103.
- "Conrad's German Voices: Translating Narrative Innovation in Heart of Darkness." Conrad in Germany. Ed. Walter Goebel, Hans Ulrich Seeber, and Martin Windisch. Boulder: East European Monographs /Chichester: John Wiley, 2007. 35-68.
- "Daring Eccentrics: Popular Biography and Female Deviance in the Later Eighteenth Century. Eighteenth-Century Women: Studies in Their Lives, Work, and Culture 4 (2006): 215-58.
- "The Taming of the Rake: Congreve's The Way of the World on the German Eighteenth-Century Stage." 1650-1850: Ideas, Aesthetics, and Inquiries in the Early Modern Era 11 (2005): 265-99.
- "From Aeolus to Aerology, Or, Boreas Meets the Barometer: Clouds, Winds, and Weather Observation in Eighteenth-Century Poetry." Imagining the Sciences: Expressions of New Knowledge in the 'Long' Eighteenth Century, eds. Kevin L. Cope and Robert C. Leitz, III. New York: AMS Press, 2004. 3-57.
- "Cross-Cultural Encounters and Xenophobia in Contemporary New Zealand Children's Literature: Maurice Gee's Historical Novels The Fire-Raiser and The Champion." The Inside Story. Year Book 2002. Published by Storylines: Children's Literature Foundation of New Zealand. Balmoral / Auckland: New Zealand, 2003. 69-92.
- "A Fairer England Neath Speckless Skies of Sunny Blue? Changing Designs of Collective Identity in Early New Zealand Poetry in English." Do the Americas Have a Common Literary History?, eds. Barbara Buchenau and Annette Paatz. Frankfurt/M., Zürich, New York: Peter Lang, 2002. 95-117.
- "Missionaries of the British Muse: Concepts of Literary Nation-Building in Early New Zealand Poetry in English." Missions of Interdependence. A Literary Directory, ed. Gerhard Stilz. Amsterdam, New York: Rodopi, 2002. 349-64.