Administrative Accounting Policies and Procedures - McNeese State University
Revised/Approval Date: August 4, 2008
Persons traveling on official business will provide themselves with sufficient funds for all routine travel expenses that cannot be covered by the corporate travel card. Advances of funds for travel shall be made only for extraordinary travel and should be punctually repaid when submitting the travel voucher covering the related travel, no later than the fifteenth day of the month following the completion of travel. Until prior outstanding advances have been submitted, no additional advances will be granted. Disregarding the fifteen day policy may result in disallowing of any advances in the future.
At the discretion of MSU, cash advances may be allowed for:
- employees whose salary is less than $30,000/year.
- employees who accompany and/or are responsible for students on group/client travel
- new employees who are infrequent travelers or have not had time to apply for and receive the card.
- employees traveling for extended periods, defined as 31 or more consecutive days
- employees traveling to remote destinations in foreign countries
- advanced ticket / lodging purchase
- registration for seminars, conferences and conventions
- incidental costs not covered by the corporate travel card i.e. taxi fares, and tolls
Traveling expenses of travelers shall be limited to those expenses necessarily incurred by them in the performance of a public purpose authorized by law to be performed by the agency and must be within the limitations prescribed herein.
Controlled Billed Account (CBA) issued in MSU's name is to be used for airfare and registration. Other Credit Cards issued in the name of MSU are not to be used for the purpose of securing transportation, lodging, meals, or telephone and telegraph service, unless prior written permission has been obtained from the Commissioner of Administration.
There will be no reimbursement when no cost is incurred by the traveler. This includes but is not limited to reimbursements for any lodging and/or meals furnished at a state institution or other state agency, or furnished by any other party at no cost to the traveler. In no case will a traveler be allowed mileage or transportation when he/she is gratuitously transported by another person.